The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ten Commandments for training.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

Ten Commandments for training. Empty
PostSubject: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 pm

I found this onanother site I shortened it up a little.

Rule #1

The dog lives exactly in the here and now!

The canine mind is, at all times, in the present. A dog is not worried about what might happen tomorrow. It also does not dwell consciously on what happened yesterday. This does not mean that the dog has no memories of things that happened in the past. However, those memories are more abstract than ours. Humans will dwell on a particular interactions. For the dog, the interaction has two basic outcomes: good or bad. Good means: I'll do more of it, bad means: I won't do it again. A bad outcome does not cause the dog to wonder how things could have been done differently or how to do it next time. As far as the dog is concerned, the chapter is closed until, by chance, the same situation arises again.

Rule #2

A rewarded behavior will be repeated!

As mentioned in rule #1, the dog will repeat behaviors that previously ended in a good outcome. "Good" in this context is defined by the dog, not by us. "Good", to the dog, means that a particular action paid off. Getting a cookie from us after sitting when asked is as much a pay-off as the good feeling the dog derives from chewing on your couch. If it feels good, it will be repeated.

Rule #3

Unrewarded behavior will extinguish itself!

If a particular action never pays off, it will cease to be offered eventually.

Rule #4

Different rewards carry different value

This should be a no-brainer, because we play the game of life exactly the same way.
In the case of the dog: he will sit for praise (scratch ticket) as long as there is no squirrel running by (super ball). On the other hand, he will sit for a steak (better odds super ball) even if there is a squirrel running by (smaller odds super ball).

Rule #5

If you want to extinguish a behavior, it will get worse, before it gets better.

If you desire a dog to stop a particular behavior, it won't happen overnight. The dog is offering the behavior because it has been either purposely or inadvertantly rewarded in the past. A dog barking in the crate has previously learned that it can solicit you to open the door or to talk to it by barking. You may not have done it on purpose. You may just have opened the door to let the barking pup out because you did not have enough time to wait until the dog was quiet. The dog, however, will deduct that you opened the door because it made a fuss. This is how it got momma dog to come and help and this is how it got you to open the door. If you reward the behavior once, the dog will be offering the behavior as a result of rule #1. The more often or better it has been rewarded, the longer #1 applies before #2 applies. The dog is simply playing by the odds of receiving a reward of a certain value.

Rule #6

Dogs don't generalize

The dog does not remember the outcome of a certain situation until it presents itself again. This is meant very literally. Unless the situation presents itself in exactly the same way, the dog will not approach it with any memory of previously being exposed to it.

What does this mean? A dog that learned that it is a bad idea to jump over the fence, has not learned that it is a bad idea to dig under the fence. Nor has it learned that it is bad to chew through the fence.. or even that it is a bad idea to jump over the fence in a different area of the yard.

Rule #7

Punishment only works if applied to the same situation each and every time

"He knows he isn't supposed to do that" is a common outcry of frustration in dog training. However, if he REALLY knew, he wouldn't do it. Rule #3 holds the absolute key. If a certain behavior NEVER is rewarded, the dog won't do it again. MOst people do not have the patience to let the dog learn for himself, so they try to deter the dog from undesired behaviors via punishment.

Rule #8

Behaviors don't disappear - they have to be replaced

"How do I get him to stop doing that?" First, find out why he is doing it. Then find out what you would like him to do instead. A lot of behaviors deemed "annoying" have developed over a good amount of time. They won't suddenly stop (Rule #5), much less replaced with inactivity. The general rule is to teach a replacemnt behavior that is incompatible with the "bad one". The most common example is to teach a dog that jumps up to greet, that he will only receive attention for sitting in front of you.

Rule #9

Reward your dog when you don't notice him

Most people want their dog to mind his own business until called upon. A common complaint is a dog that begs for attention. Aside from being a sign that your dog may need more attention, you have probably never rewarded him for not pestering you. Think of Rule #3. Now reward him while he is lying down, waiting patiently for you to pay attention to him.

Rule #10

Be fair to your dog. He is learning our language and rules with a much smaller brain than yours.
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Thought we could all post soem training tips or ideas. I was wondering if this would get a conversation going.

I like to start out early with my guys. I try to get them use to a leash in the first day of coming home. I let them run and play but when they start to slow down I put the leash on and walk them around the yard for 5 mins or so. After they are use to the leash in a couple of days I take them out on the leash they go to the bathroom then I let them off the leash to run and play.
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 2:03 am

i agree with you. i like to do a lot oif imprintimg in the early stages, i dont expect much out of a pup until there about 6 months old, thats when i stat doing actual training
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
Admin
buzhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 am

I think that pups are evaluating every interaction with the pack and the world from day one and it is best to draw the lines right away. I've always found that very little punishment is necessary if I never allow any unwanted behavior. I've never "formally" trained a dog to do much more than successfully exist within my family but have had great success with methods similar to the one's posted. The good reaction/bad reaction method, IMO, is the best way. I've never used any training tools such as treats, leashes, toys so I really cannot comment on the effectiveness of those methods except to say that I've never found them to be necessary. I'm sure that if I was to take training to a new level such as OB, then I would have to employ new methods or tools. Communication, to me, is the perfect foundation. Not only does a dog need to be able to understand you, you have to be able to understand your dog. If he cannot express to you what he wants or needs, he will give up. I've known countless people who spend the dog's entire life yelling and screaming and punishing because the dog just does not look at them as a leader, only the guy who has the food and works the doorknobs.
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 pm

Yep I have know alot of people like that too. People in my obedience classes are amazed at how intuned DaVinci is with me he watches my ever move I have never had to get after him really a few "NO's" here and there but he is a great dog. They said the same thing about Chalice. I never knew about the watch me method until I went to class but I guess I was doing that all along anyways. I do't find it nessecary to talk to my dogs we talk to each with our eyes.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
Admin
buzhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 2:40 am

[quote="Mikado&Chalice" I do't find it nessecary to talk to my dogs we talk to each with our eyes.[/quote]

I feel the same way. Mine know to come to me when they need something. They always look to me for a reaction or direction. That lets me know that they respect me and feel that they can communicate with me. Bridging that communication gap is a huge step that a lot of people never accomplish and that just builds a wall between dog and human. No way for either to live. I think some people tend to view themselves as being "above" all animals instead of simply just being a good leader and mentor in this crazy world.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 6:57 am

This is a !!!!! good post Sharon. You should post this on GPB if it's not where you got it..
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 am

Thanks Eric no I didn't get it from GPB.
Back to top Go down
sw_df27
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
sw_df27

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:24 am

good post!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten Commandments for training.   Ten Commandments for training. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ten Commandments for training.
Page 1 of 1