The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Termperment Test

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:01 am

Have any of you guys temperment tested your dogs yet? Legend's 14 months (well in 3 days he will be) and I know you cant go take it until your dog is 18 months. Hopefully end of January Legend will have his CGC(I know I know pushed it back a couple of times just wasnt 100% confident he would pass). For the temperment test a part that bothers me is this-
Subtest 9: Threatening
The weird stranger advances 10 feet towards the stationary handler in a threatening manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's ability to recognize when an unusual situation turns into a provocation.

Subtest 10: Aggression
The weird stranger advances to within 18 feet of the stationary handler in an aggressive manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's protective instincts.

The stranger is never closer than 10 feet from the dog. The handler's 2 foot arm and the 6' lead is added in for a total of 18 feet. Aggression here is checked against the breed standard and the dog's training. A schutzhund trained dog lunging at the stranger is allowed, but if an untrained Siberian husky does the same, it may fail.

I know Legend wouldnt try to attack anyone BUT I'm thinking he's going to growl as he's not a barker. What is allowed for the APBT for this test b/c I know for some breeds its a little different for what is allowed.
Back to top Go down
redsky

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 am

LegendsMami wrote:
Have any of you guys temperment tested your dogs yet? Legend's 14 months (well in 3 days he will be) and I know you cant go take it until your dog is 18 months. Hopefully end of January Legend will have his CGC(I know I know pushed it back a couple of times just wasnt 100% confident he would pass). For the temperment test a part that bothers me is this-
Subtest 9: Threatening
The weird stranger advances 10 feet towards the stationary handler in a threatening manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's ability to recognize when an unusual situation turns into a provocation.

Subtest 10: Aggression
The weird stranger advances to within 18 feet of the stationary handler in an aggressive manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's protective instincts.

The stranger is never closer than 10 feet from the dog. The handler's 2 foot arm and the 6' lead is added in for a total of 18 feet. Aggression here is checked against the breed standard and the dog's training. A schutzhund trained dog lunging at the stranger is allowed, but if an untrained Siberian husky does the same, it may fail.

I know Legend wouldnt try to attack anyone BUT I'm thinking he's going to growl as he's not a barker. What is allowed for the APBT for this test b/c I know for some breeds its a little different for what is allowed.

Actually a temperment test should be done between six and eight weeks old. I do every litter and I also stimulate them. This years litters were my first stimulated waiting to see how that worked out. Oh I see what you meant now, the certificate in it something like the cgc. Yea I plan to get Sierra's CGC after I finish with her champion title (originally was going to do it before that but things ended up going really fast lol).
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:21 am

I meant for http://atts.org/
Back to top Go down
redsky

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:25 am

Yea i have a habbit of not reading the whole thing so when I went back and reread i figured it out lol sorry. I have a pup off a litter (well almost two now) who is licensed as a thearpy dog so I hope to get a few more dogs like that under my belt. I actually can't take credit for any of that with him because I barely even ob trained him, he was so smart he trained himself. That's another thing i love about this breed they are smart as heck!!
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:32 am

Yes they are! Very Happy
I'm actually working on a trick for Legend. Him getting me a can of soda from the fridge. He's got carrying the can and opening the fridge. He does get it out of the fridge if I'm standing there. Just gotta work on sending him in there hiself to get it. lol
Back to top Go down
redsky

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:36 am

cool! I love to see the different tricks. Every year Brandy Moore has a reunion at her place and best trick is one of the competitions. It's all for fun but it's really cool to see what folks teach their dogs lol. Amy taught her girl star to show her breast lol, Brandy's dogs all knew some awesome stuff one climbed a tree. I forget what got best trick though.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 4:39 am

Thats so cool!..Legend is mommy's little helper. He does everything and anything I ask. I swear he's the best dog I've ever had!
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 10:09 am

How would ya get that done?? Do i go to a vet??? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 12:21 am

through the www.atts.org
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 4:13 am

Would they have that in canada??? clown
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 5:20 am

Oh yeah you are in Canada! lol....If not this test then I know they have to have one similiar!
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 10:13 pm

Mikado passed his CGC testing like nothing happened. We didn't have anything like #9 but on #10 he laid down. I guess the guy wasn't threating enough. I was worried about him coming to me from the other side of the room as I had never did it with him but OMG he stayed and came like he had did a 100x before.
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Mikado passed his CGC testing like nothing happened. We didn't have anything like #9 but on #10 he laid down. I guess the guy wasn't threating enough. I was worried about him coming to me from the other side of the room as I had never did it with him but OMG he stayed and came like he had did a 100x before.
Back to top Go down
redsky

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

Congrads that's awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Termperment Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Termperment Test   Termperment Test Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Termperment Test
Page 1 of 1