The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Show basics feel free to add on those that show!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
redsky

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Empty
PostSubject: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 am

Ok keep in mind i'm no pro actually new to showing myself and still learning.

The first things you wanna do is go check out an actual show first. Learn the structure inside and out to make sure you know what your going up against when you get to the show. I always size up the competition (doesn't mean I'm always right but I kind of know what to expect sometimes). You wanna make sure you got the proper show equipment. I personally thougth in the beginning a choker (the ones you can get from the dollar store that can of look like an ordinary chain link choke) was the type you show in WRONG!! You want a hexagone type or similar unless you go nylon (www.kvvet.com has some show chokes you can check out) you'll also find there will be venders at some shows (MI always has one there). You also want to get the right type of lead, I bought a leather one but never use it didn't even post it in the pic because I only use it before the show to walk sierra around in then i switch out when they call pits in. You also want to make sure to check all the boards when you get to the show location to see what ring and when your groups is going. When you first go in the ring you line up along the side I was told to always try and get that first spot which is called the corner and suppose to be a spot where the judge gets the best view of the dog here is a pic:

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 08-19-06theshow034

The judge will come over ask you to show the bite (teeth both sides and the front) then go over the dog. She/he will then tell you to go down and back that means to the corner in a diagnal and come back here is a pic (in this pic she is actually coming back from down and back:

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 08-19-06theshow040

The judge will then move to the next dog do the same thing and once all the dogs have gotten the once over you will go around in a group here is a pic:

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 10-8-06show017

Ok now here is a few pics of how you be lined up when you all enter the ring, remember to give yourself enough space from the dog in front of you if you are behind someone:

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 10-8-06show014

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 08-19-06theshow046

Here is some pics of me stacking up which you do when you enter the ring before the judge comes over to check the bite:

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 11-04-06040

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 10-8-06show026

Some others stacking up:

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 10-8-06show014
The lil girl out front kicked our but with bobber who is now owned by tri tek kennels (where sierra was bred)

Show basics feel free to add on those that show! 08-19-06theshow046
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:11 am

Nice!!! Question.... The dog in front, I read somewhere that they dont allow thoses colours mixed together in show? Like a all black dog with Tan?? Now is that only with a certain reg, Like ADBA, UKC or any others?? Or did i read it totally wrong....
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:14 am

Pantera2006 wrote:
Nice!!! Question.... The dog in front, I read somewhere that they dont allow thoses colours mixed together in show? Like a all black dog with Tan?? Now is that only with a certain reg, Like ADBA, UKC or any others?? Or did i read it totally wrong....

Tris are allowed but Bobber wouldn't cut it akc because she has white in her coat. Tri colored pits are not suppose to have any white to show akc. UKC and ADBA do not penalize for it but she wouldnt do well ADBA. She is already a UKC champion. She is working on getting her Ob certificates as well as a few other things (working on supper dog status!).
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 am

BTW the spot where the lil girl is with the tri is the corner. She kicked all our grown butts (took best female lol). That was also a judges dog at the time which had nothing to do wiht her win, she won cause that lil girl was awesome!
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 am

Oh ok... she has a great stance..... i like the mixings of colours in them....
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:32 am

One thing before I start asking Q's......Sierra is one bad Biatch! She is gorgeous! Very Happy

A friend of mine used to show her Poodles(I know guys...lol) in the AKC shows I believe. And I think she is/was a judge also obedience rally judge and CGC evaluator and trainer and probably more but I don't know. For my next pup I would like to try showing should I ask her to show me how? I know the AKC and UKC are different. I'm not sure if she's familiar w/ the UKC standard.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:49 am

LegendsMami wrote:
One thing before I start asking Q's......Sierra is one bad Biatch! She is gorgeous! Very Happy

A friend of mine used to show her Poodles(I know guys...lol) in the AKC shows I believe. And I think she is/was a judge also obedience rally judge and CGC evaluator and trainer and probably more but I don't know. For my next pup I would like to try showing should I ask her to show me how? I know the AKC and UKC are different. I'm not sure if she's familiar w/ the UKC standard.

Yep you definately should ask her to be your mentor. I had a tzu breeder for my mentor for a long time! It doesn't matter the breed or organization they are under it's all pretty much the same as far as stacking, showing the bite, knowing good movement and spotting faults and what not. The only major differences is that toy poodles are stacked on the table and their coats have to look a certain way but pits are stacked on the floor and no coat requirements besides there not be any skin issues and such going on. Definately get yourself a good mentor to help out!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:51 am

BTW thanks for the compliment on sierra and that fifth pic down has two of her daughters in it, they are the last two pits and the sable one (second one in line) is with her actual breeder Sabrina. Sable is now a champion and Peanut (the last one lil brindle bitch) is pointed toward champion status.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 12:58 pm

They are look'n good Red Sky!
Can't wait to get my pup out there cheers
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 3:45 am

Stacking
http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php?page=Dog+Show+Training
Stacking video
http://homegarden.expertvillage.com/videos/show-dog-stack.htm
Christi does a judge ever ask the handlers to free stack their dogs?
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/stack.txt
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 4:07 am

LegendsMami wrote:
Stacking
http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php?page=Dog+Show+Training
Stacking video
http://homegarden.expertvillage.com/videos/show-dog-stack.htm
Christi does a judge ever ask the handlers to free stack their dogs?
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/stack.txt

They free stack themselves. You are just adjusting them. Only time you should really have to stack stack a dog is in the learning process (which some are naturally good free stackers, chaka pretty much is if you bait her). The judge doesn't say anything to you in regards to the stack because if you aren't doing it right they aren't gonna tell ya, you'll just be kicked to the side in their eyes. Sierra is absolutely a free stacker lol, I was just moving her around to make myself look busy lol. Seemed everyone else was adjusting and what not so I did a lil this and that to just to look occupied lol. I have to commend Sabrina cause i really haven't had to work on much of anything with sierra besides stay.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 4:09 am

Okay I see. Smile
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Grooming   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 4:48 am

Why is it that sometimes they clip the whiskers? Is it really necessary?
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 6:57 am

I have to agree, sierra is good looking. Personally I would of chose her for best of females...seriously she's gorgeous! I do like tri's however....I can't wait till I get to show! Christie mind if I join you at your next show to get a feel of how things are gonna go? And I promise that I will leave everyone's dogs teeth and lips alone...lmao!!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 8:05 am

AmericanPitbull wrote:
I have to agree, sierra is good looking. Personally I would of chose her for best of females...seriously she's gorgeous! I do like tri's however....I can't wait till I get to show! Christie mind if I join you at your next show to get a feel of how things are gonna go? And I promise that I will leave everyone's dogs teeth and lips alone...lmao!!

That's fine with me would love for ya to come on out!! Kiomi I don't know of anyone that does that and I definately wouldn't lol.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 8:16 am

lol. Thats what I thought too. Why would anyone do that. Wouldnt throw the dog off? I mean he/she was born with the whiskers must need them at some point! LOL
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 7:44 pm

Yea I'd think so but you know folks go crazy cutting stuff and reasoning it lol. ears, tails, due claws i guess they said what the heck lets cut the wiskers to while we're at it.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 12:44 am

LegendsMami wrote:

I called her and she said she would help me and also that the training club she works w/ also has a show handling class! Woohooo!! Very Happy lol
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 1:27 am

how often do the dogs start fighting with one another, from being so close together
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 1:30 am

Do you have your next show posted on your site?
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 1:33 am

I can see removing the dew claws, cause chopper got his snagged on the carpet at 5 months and ripped it almost off! I couldnt see cutting whiskers off though...and my god who would dock a pit bull's tail? Ya know I have seen pictures with pits tails docked....looks plum ignorant!
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 1:37 am

AmericanPitbull wrote:
I can see removing the dew claws, cause chopper got his snagged on the carpet at 5 months and ripped it almost off! I couldnt see cutting whiskers off though...and my god who would dock a pit bull's tail? Ya know I have seen pictures with pits tails docked....looks plum ignorant!

ive had so many people tell me to have ricos tail docked. his tail will leave bruises when he gets excited and starts waging away.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 1:41 am

wheezie wayne wrote:
how often do the dogs start fighting with one another, from being so close together

I think they have to be able to ignore other dogs. And also have enough space between each dog.

AmericanPitbull wrote:

Dew claws yeah they sometimes can rip. Tail no. And why do people do that other then for medical reasons I'll never understand!
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 am

I dont understand that either kiomi....maybe on a dobbie, rott or boxer...but a pit bull? Lol people Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 1:11 am

AmericanPitbull wrote:
Do you have your next show posted on your site?

Yes the new schedule for the next three months is up.

I've never seen a pit fight at a UKC show Wayne, dogs showing any type of aggression is usually asked to leave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show basics feel free to add on those that show!   Show basics feel free to add on those that show! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Show basics feel free to add on those that show!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next