The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?

Go down 
+2
LegendsMami
Xelleron
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2006-12-22

What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Empty
PostSubject: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 9:17 am

Does anyone know where I can find a link to help with that? I want to get a good idea what to keep away from Brittle and to give her so when my cousins come over I can tell them "NO! KEEP AWAY FROM HER!" for a good reason... little snots... *cough* what? Lol.

Any help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 9:38 am

Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs
Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these (listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog purposefuly, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.

Avocadoes (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)

Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.

Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are ususally temporary.

Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.

Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Avocadoes (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous.

Too much salt can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060929/us_nm/life_dogs_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach. Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.

Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.

Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.

Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.

Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.

One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large, chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound (0.45 kg) of xylitol.

"People don't think sugar-free gum can kill their dog. I didn't before I got into this. But this is something people should be aware of," Gwaltney-Brant, who co-authored the study with Dunayer, said in a statement.

Gwaltney-Brant said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar and can be fatal.

"A 22-pound (10-kg) dog who consumes one gram (0.03 ounces) of xylitol should be treated," she said, adding that further studies were needed to definitely establish a cause-and-effect relationship
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks a ton LM! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 9:47 am

Your welcome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 1:14 pm

OK Kiomi, I'm gonna start calling you Webster ..... lmao! Razz
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Good deal Kiomi. I suggest everyone keep that printed out (I know I do) so you know for future reference.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 12:01 am

MidwestBully wrote:
OK Kiomi, I'm gonna start calling you Webster ..... lmao! Razz

LMAO! If I find articles that are dog related especially something like this I save it to a file on my computer! That way for later reference I have it. lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 2:44 am

i said it once and ill say it again she a lil cute encylopedia
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 3:21 am

Tehehehe Laughing
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 7:50 am

LegendsMami wrote:
Tehehehe Laughing

All Hail Kiomi!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 12:32 pm

WTF...... I give Harley Tomatos all the time Shocked Shocked Shocked OMG!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 12:34 pm

Believe it or not, a lot of pitbull owners on several big wig pit forums are FOR the spay/abort. They were pressuring me and harassing me in PMs about it too! I quit one of the forums because it got to be too much.

Last edited by Xelleron on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 pm

Im not, Unless it posses a prob for the dog......
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Pantera2006 wrote:

That is exactly how I feel. If there is a serious problem with the puppies and it might cost the dog her life, then I would abort. But just aborting because I could adopt a dog that might not like my other dogs or vice versa is kinda out there.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 7:31 pm

Xelleron wrote:
Pantera2006 wrote:

That is exactly how I feel. If there is a serious problem with the puppies and it might cost the dog her life, then I would abort. But just aborting because I could adopt a dog that might not like my other dogs or vice versa is kinda out there.

If this is not a breeding bitch I might consider it had an accident happened but who is anyone to pressure anyone else into doing something. I have noticed a lot of breeders breed their bitches into the ground not to mention breed them young and all sorts of stuff so as the old saying goes let he without sin cast the first stone! I've had my fair share of accidents one way or another and I have bred a young bitch for my own reasons so I don't judge nobody and don't give heck how nobody feels about what I do cause I'm the one paying the bills around here!!
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Well I for one do not believe everything I read. My Mama use to make a food for our dogs when $$$ was tight it was cooked brown rice ham burger, tomatoes, onions and lard the dogs loved it even the cats ate it too. Yenta lived to be 19 or 20. Chico died when he was 161/2 and onxy well he was 25yr 11mon when he died. I don't think this diet hurt them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?   What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is dangerous/not dangerous for dogs to eat?
Page 1 of 1