The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.

Go down 
+2
trejos kennels
schismatickennels
6 posters
AuthorMessage
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Empty
PostSubject: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 pm

The parasites

This information is posted for the education of my clients, but I'm happy to share it with anyone who might find it useful. If you suspect your pet has parasites, don't contact me! Take it immediately to your vet for proper diagnosis and treatment.
The most common internal parasites for puppies are roundworms, hookworms, coccidia, and tapeworms.
Roundworms look like spagetti and can cause a puppy to have a "pot belly." Most puppies have roundworms at some point. Roundworm eggs can be passed from mothers to babies through nursing. The life cycle of roundworms is two weeks. Roundworm eggs are larger than other parasite eggs, and are quite distinctive. Because of this, they are easy to detect in a "floatation" fecal check.

Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. My_hookshow

Hookworms are much smaller than roundworms, and are not usually seen, but they're more dangerous than roundworms. The hookworm attaches to the intestinal lining and can cause internal bleeding as it moves from place to place. They can also migrate into the lungs. A puppy infested with hookworms will appear thin, and have a dry, unhealthy looking coat. Puppies can be born with hookworms, and can die within 10 days if they and their mother are not properly treated.
< < Hookworm egg

Coccidia eggs seen through a microscope.

Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Cocc417b

Coccidia is not a worm. It is a microscopic internal parasite (protozoan) common in warm, humid climates. Most southern breeders have a problem with it because of the heat, humidity, and mild winters - nothing dies. Coccidia can be stress-related. A puppy may have a negative fecal check result from a vet, appear perfectly fine, but show evidence of coccidia as soon as he goes to a new home. Albon, the prescription medication for coccidia, doesn't actually kill it. It washes the puppy's digestive tract, taking the coccidia with it. From what I've read, it's the puppy's own immune system that eventually will kill any remaining coccidia. A young puppy's immune system is not fully developed, so it takes time for the puppy and it's immune system to mature. My vet says most adult dogs have coccidia, but they also have the antibodies to fight and control it. A puppy with coccidia that is not well cared for and not treated with Albon will eventually develop watery diarrhea and can dehydrate. This is when coccidia can become a serious condition - the coccidia replicates unchecked, and the puppy can become very ill.

Puppies get tapeworms from fleas. A young flea will eat tape worm eggs, and puppies get tape worms if they swallow a flea. The tapeworm is segmented and flat, so what you will see are small, flat, cream colored pieces less than a half inch long. The most common place to see them is around a dog or cat's behind. These moving pieces contain tapeworm eggs. When they're dry, they look similar to uncooked rice. Tapeworms can cause a loose stool.
Puppies can also get giardia. This parasite is less common, and more difficult to diagnose. It would probably not be detected by a vet using the normal "floatation" method of fecal screening. It causes periodic diarrhea and loss of appetite; a puppy with severe giardia is likely to be thin. There is a vaccine for giardia, manufactured by Fort Dodge, but its effectiveness is questionable.
The prescription medications (from your vet)

• Round worms: Strongid T (pyrantel pamoate) - yellow liquid given once, and then 2 weeks later. In a stubborn case, treat 3-5 days in a row, and then repeat the same in 2 weeks. If you have a litter of puppies, the first worming should be at 2 weeks of age, repeated every two weeks until 8 weeks of age. The mother should be treated at the same time.
    or Panacur (10% Fenbendazole) - white liquid that tastes terrible. Dose 1cc per 5 pounds for 3 consecutive days, and repeat process in 2 weeks. The benefit of Panacur is that it usually works in a situation where Strongid T has been ineffectual. It also comes in granular form, to be mixed with food.
  • Hook worms: Strongid T (pyrantel pamoate) - yellow liquid given once, and then 3 weeks later. In a severe case, treat 3 days in a row, and then repeat in 3 weeks. Drontel is another medication prescribed for hookworms. It comes in pill form, and is also used to treat tapeworms.
    or Panacur (10% Fenbendazole) - same directions as above, except repeat treatment in 3 weeks, rather than 2 weeks.
  • Tape worms: Droncit, Drontel, or Centex - serated tablet given once, repeat if tapeworms reappear.
  • Coccidia: Albon - darker yellow liquid given for 10-21 days. Double dose the first day of treatment. Also comes in pill form.
  • Giardia: Metronidazole - most common in pill form but can be gotten in liquid form by special order. Give once daily by weight for 10 days, twice daily (divided dose) in severe cases.

Even a healthy appearing puppy can have some form of parasite. When you get a new puppy, it's always a good idea to have a fecal exam done by your vet, even if the puppy just had one by the breeder's vet. The breeder would have sold you the puppy in good faith, but as I mentioned, going to a new home can be stressful. That's when parasites are more evident, and easier for a vet to detect.
Don't forget about heartworm preventative for your new puppy! This can only be gotten from a vet, so you should discuss the different options with him or her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 pm

Hoping to get some input here about the different wormers and preventative treatment you guys use on your dogs and pups.

For pups we use Albon for preventative of coccidia.
For Treatment, I'm swearing by SMZ480, christie suggested this to me when we had a breakout and albon did NOT cure the coccidia that was already in the system. But this little pill that costs you 25cents a pill at the vet, (Depending on if you can get it without a prescription) worked miracles.

For everything but Tapeworm and Heartworms, and Whipworms.

We use Strongid T or Nemex.
The schedule is as follows.

2weeks-16weeks - Every 2 weeks preventative 1/2 cc per 10 lbs, for 3 days.
16 weeks and beyond- once a month same dosage 1/2 cc per 10 lbs, for 3 days.

I wasn't aware until I read the articles but Strongid isn't good for Tapeworm, and the suggestion is Droncit. I have no clue of the dosage but I'll get back to everyone on that, and it will definately be added to our program.

Heartworm preventative- Ivermect or Ivermectin. Once a month. .1 mg per 10 lbs.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT IVERMECTIN!!!
Do NOT use this product on Cattle dogs. It can cause death!
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

PostSubject: lol   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Man Chelle, you can tell you were waiting for this section for a while.. alot of great info , Kudos to you !!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 2:40 am

The Health section is my favorite part, I love all the questions people have, and finding out what I can about anything that might arise. It's very important to know an abundance of things whenever your a breeder, and you can never ever learn enough.
Back to top Go down
YJSONLY
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 11:46 am

for whipworms i use safeguard..... ivomec will not kill tem.... whipworms is in my dirt out here and it sucks!!!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2007 6:22 am

The best thing one can use is Vercom bad thing is you need a script to get it! If you have a really nice vet ask for a script for it! It kills all of em.
Back to top Go down
Downing Kennels
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
Downing Kennels

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 8:00 am

These are different parasites that your dogs can get.

the direct link this is belwo. That way you can all have an idea as to which parasites to what and how common and rare they are. There are 5 types of tapeworm 1 common the rest are rare. But honestly you never know about the areas where you buy a pup from. Just like there are 2 different forms of coccidia.

http://groups.msn.com/Bully-OwnersAssociation/bullyhealth.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=853&LastModified=4675598151845048581

Parasites of the Dog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status in the Philadelphia region:

Common - seen regular (at least several times per year)
Uncommon - seen occasionally (once every year or two)
Rare - not seen or seen only once or twice in the last 15 years.
Ancylostoma brazilensis - rare
Anclystoma caninum - common
Babesia canis - uncommon
Babesia gibsoni - rare
Balantidium coli - rare
Baylisacaris procyonis - uncommon
Capillaria aerophila - uncommon
Capillaria boehmi - uncommon
Capillaria plica - uncommon
Crenosoma vulpis - uncommon
Cryptosporidium parvum - uncommon
Cuterebra spp. - common
Dioctophyme renale - rare
Dipetalonema reconditum - uncommon
Dipylidium caninum - common
Diphyllobothrium latum - uncommon
Dirofilaria immitis - common
Dracunculus insignis - rare
Echinococcus granulosus - rare
Echinococcus multilocularis - rare
Entamoeba histolytica - rare
Filaroides hirthi - rare
Oslerus (Filaroides) osleri - rare
Giardia duodenalis - common
Heterobilharzia americana - rare
Isospora canis - common
Isospora ohionensis - common
Leishmania spp. - uncommon
Macracanthorhynchus ingens - rare
Mesocestoides corti - rare
Nanophyetus samincola - rare
Neospora caninum - uncommon
Paragonomus kellicotti - uncommon
Parametorchius complexus - rare
Platynosomum fastosum - rare
Physaloptera spp. - uncommon
Sarcocystis cruzi - uncommon
Spirocerca lupi - rare
Spriometra mansonoides - rare
Strongyloides stercoralis - uncommon
Taenia hydatigena - rare
Taenia ovis - rare
Taenia pisiformis- common
Taenia multiceps - rare
Taenia serialis - rare
Thelazia californiensis - rare
Toxascaris leonina - common
Toxocara canis - common
Trichinella spiralis - rare
Trichomonas spp. - uncommon
Trichuris vulpis - common
Trypanosoma cruzi - rare
Uncinaria stenocephala - uncommon
Back to top Go down
http://www.downingkennels.com
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 9:42 am

thanks for the info Jon keep it coming!
Back to top Go down
Downing Kennels
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
Downing Kennels

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 8:47 pm

LOL! This is his wife Vanessa
Back to top Go down
http://www.downingkennels.com
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 9:15 pm

lol I see that now and I apologize....glad to have ya aboard!!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2007 12:23 am

yep some great info. Keep my mind yall that cocci can also be caused by stress!
Back to top Go down
Bullygirl807
mature pup
mature pup
Bullygirl807

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2006-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 2:36 am

We use Safeguard for and ivermectin but I recent heard that using ivermectin in females can prolong them from going into heat. Now don't mistake me, that is what I heard and don't know the truth to it....yet.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 3:06 am

All of this is GREAT info to keep at hand!!

Good posting!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.   Parsites in puppies and adult dogs. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parsites in puppies and adult dogs.
Page 1 of 1