The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What can I do??

Go down 
+5
show me real pits kennels
DumDog
Dunlap
Mikado&Chalice
ericschevy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2007 7:56 am

To get Rocky's front legs more in shape? I have got him in pretty good shape over all but his front legs could use some work, His rear has some nice definition from pulling me on my bike and working his rope swing.
Everything seems to be uniform but it seems his front legs are not getting the workout they need..
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2007 10:05 am

Could you post a picture I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe a tug-o-war game where he has to dig in with his front legs......
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
Dunlap

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2006-12-30

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2007 10:31 am

just simple walks and runs do the trick for me...for the most part.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com     www.freewebs.com/jdubldkennels
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-02-04

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 5:53 am

well..... drag weights are a good option if he is able.
When Kaydee was paralyzed she would insist on dragging herself around. The vet said it wouldnt hurt her and might encourage her to use her hind legs.. in the process of all this she bulked up to disgusting proportions in her front!! she has a chest like a bull mastiff now! and her muscles are constantly bunched up and she looks ripped in the front.... now if i could just get her rear end to match... she is learning to walk again so its slow going, but !!!!!! her front lets are like tree trunks lol
soooo maybe try your dog on some drag weights. just be sure to do it right. maybe when he pulls you on the bike you could offer resistance by riding the breaks or maybe adding some extra weights in saddle bags.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 9:39 am

LOL, I'm already riding the brakes just to keep him from going 20mph.
So far a saddle bag weighted down is sounding promising...
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 9:40 am

Mikado&Chalice wrote:
Could you post a picture I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe a tug-o-war game where he has to dig in with his front legs......

I have a busy day tomorrow but I'll try to get some pics...
Back to top Go down
Ankle Biter
Ankle Biter

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-04-12

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 8:35 pm

something I have just started trying. I have those little weights that strap on to women when they do aerobics when I do my weight walks and seems to help strength extra muscle down there. I was told this weekend by Greenwood himself that my dog front end was great. I think it was due to my weight walks. I strap the weights on lower part of the forearm muscle. He didn't like it at first but doesn't even pay attention now. I use a weight pull harness with 25 pounds on it right. 25 pound weight from a bench press set with a heavy chain.
Back to top Go down
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 12:30 pm

i think conditioning a dog is the same as with people. you want to avoid the plateau effect - where you get stuck on a routine and you neither regress or progress. you have to keep adding on a little more each time.
Back to top Go down
Ankle Biter
Ankle Biter

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 10:33 pm

I think dumdog is exactly right about the increasing the limit. These dogs are so heavy muscle before you even start to condition. I think you have build up every month, no matter if is distance, weight or even amount of excerise time.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 am

Well He's nothing spectacular but there is still some improvement. He's getting some definition... He's getting there...

What can I do?? DSCF0052
What can I do?? DSCF0050-1
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 12:13 am

looks great bro
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 9:34 pm

farao I think he is loookin Goood!!! He looks alot like my Chalice.
Back to top Go down
Bullygirl807
mature pup
mature pup
Bullygirl807

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2006-11-17

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:16 am

Use a 5lb. weight collar when you walk him. Thats what I use.
Back to top Go down
Ankle Biter
Ankle Biter

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 7:02 am

if you go to rios pitbulls webpage (one of the best for information). On the side you will see "THE KEEP" the barney fife keep i think is pretty tough to beat when it comes to training side. The information on this website is superb I think. It is just my opinion. I don't throw my dogs but the keep is a great resource for condition that works.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 7:22 am

YOU could try a carpet mill and or heavy short drag weight. This will also build the rear end up.
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 8:43 am

Oldfort wrote:
YOU could try a carpet mill and or heavy short drag weight. This will also build the rear end up.

I have been looking into some keeps and read something about dragging a large chain but It seems I would have to have a pulling harness, Otherwise I would have to keep rotating the chain to each side of his body. It seems if I didn't it would be working one side more than the other.. Just so happens that I have a large logging chain..HMMM
Back to top Go down
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:18 am

just dont put it round the neck. dont know if anyones warned about that yet or not but you can cause muscle strain and back problems if you do it too often.

i found a logging chain out on the clay road last weekend.... its got 13 links in it and weighs ten pounds.... oi vey!
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 3:38 am

DumDog wrote:
just dont put it round the neck. dont know if anyones warned about that yet or not but you can cause muscle strain and back problems if you do it too often.

i found a logging chain out on the clay road last weekend.... its got 13 links in it and weighs ten pounds.... oi vey!

Oh no, He would have to have a harness or something..
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:37 am

You know what... I dont think that it matters.... I dont do anything but walk my dogs and they are awesome sized.. I think that your dog looks awesome enough... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What can I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can I do??   What can I do?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can I do??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pit Boss :: GENERAL TOPICS :: Pit Tales-
Jump to: