The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does anyone else...

Go down 
+4
APBT4ME
Pantera2006
trejos kennels
LegendsMami
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Does anyone else... Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 am

Have h3ll clipping there dogs nails?

I made a HUGE mistake when Legend was about 6 months old. I took him to a grooming shop and they were all scared of him. And the lady nipped the quick on one of his back nails just a tad bit. Ever since then I havent been able to clip them w/o a serious thrasing from him. Before that the only people who would clip his nails were me and my friend who's a groomer(not at the shop we went to). And to top it all off I'm living in a new area where (Which I HATe btw.) they act like Legend is just going to magically turn into a psycho puppy after he's walked past them a million times and hasnt even paid them any attention. Where I used to live never had these problems. No one cared he was an APBT.
But anyway, I called the grooming shop thats down the street. I asked if they could clip nails today. The lady said yes what kind of dog do you have? I told her an APBT before I could even get out if they did do it they would have to put him up on the table( I usually do that at home but just didnt feel like lifting him up on there). She saids hold on i knew right there. When she got back on she goes oh umm we don't do big dogs today. I just hung up on her! Now I've been past there a thousand times they always have big dogs in there! Okay sorry for the rant....
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

PostSubject: well   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 2:14 am

I dont have that problem because I clip my dogs nails......
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 2:17 am

I clip his nails or my friend Christine who's a groomer does it. But my back is killing me. I don't feel like pulling the grooming table out(I keep it folded down) and lifting him up on there. That's the only way I'll be able to clip his nails.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 2:41 am

I take Har to the vet, its only 16$ and if they mess up, they fix it....
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 3:07 am

Chopper hates his nails trimmed as well, so I went out and bought a cheap nail grinder set. He does fine with that, but If I dont use them on his nails, I have to muzzle him cause he tries to nip at the trimmer. Petsmart has the cheap nail grinders and then the expensive ones, have you tired that on him??
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 3:50 am

I've never had a problem trimming nails. I just turn them over on their back and clip away Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 5:07 am

The only one i have trouble out of is Sierra and I figure her past owner must have hurt her or whoever was clipping them so bad she just doesn't trust it any more. She is getting better now though, I actually gave baths and did nails today.
Back to top Go down
Judy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Judy

Number of posts : 202

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 5:30 am

I drop Buster off at the groomers once every couple months, I can't stand doing nails.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 5:40 am

I'll try the nail grinder on him. See if he'll sit still for that. He doesnt mind his feet or toes or naild being touched at all. It's just once he sees the clippers he's like oh no you dont! lol. He's actually thrown me off of him(he's about 80-85lbs I'm 105lbs. So you know! LOL). So the only way he'll let me do it is the grooming table. I'll try the nail grinder though. Maybe he'll be better w/ that. He only needs his front nails clipped and its only 3 on each front paw that needs to be done.

And I would take him to my friend thats a groomer but she's always booked completely which sucks. And I have to drive a little ways to get there.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 5:52 am

Cant help ya there as we dont have to clip our dogs nails...........one advantage of them being outside:) Oh and I would make a trip down to that place with my dog, walk in and ask to get them clipped, if they refused Id want to see it in writing!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 6:14 am

Oldfort wrote:
Cant help ya there as we dont have to clip our dogs nails...........one advantage of them being outside:) Oh and I would make a trip down to that place with my dog, walk in and ask to get them clipped, if they refused Id want to see it in writing!

I walk Legend everyday at least 2 miles max 7 miles w/ playtime on a nice day. Only his back nails shave down Crying or Very sad ......I think I WILL do that. Just because I don't think its right for them to say they can and then turn around and say they can't once they find out what breed he is.....And you know what if they give me h3ll. I'll go right next door to Legend's training place(LOTS of Bully Breed people that there dog there) and I'll let them know too! Since that training place is where they get most of there customers from!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 6:18 am

Yea i walk Sierra to but her front nails always need clipping the back is all a walk is good for as far as the nails are concerned. Andy you have yours on cement though right? If so then that's why right there lol.
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 6:21 am

I agree with oldfort, when I worked for petsmart grooming we werent allowed to turn down any breed, even if it were a pit bull. While we were grooming them we could muzzle them if they needed it, and if they still acted up then we had a right to refuse, but not before we at least tried working with the dog.

I would ask to talk to the actuall owner of the business....ask them if they turn down other breeds or just pit bulls. Thats discrimination, and I also agree with oldfort about asking to see it in writing!! Let me know how he does with the nail grinder!!

105 pounds?! Wow girl you aint no bigger then a minute!!! lol! lol! I'm chunky..170 here shhhhhhhhh dont tell no one!! lol! Razz
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 11:46 am

AmericanPitbull wrote:
I agree with oldfort, when I worked for petsmart grooming we werent allowed to turn down any breed, even if it were a pit bull. While we were grooming them we could muzzle them if they needed it, and if they still acted up then we had a right to refuse, but not before we at least tried working with the dog.

I would ask to talk to the actuall owner of the business....ask them if they turn down other breeds or just pit bulls. Thats discrimination, and I also agree with oldfort about asking to see it in writing!! Let me know how he does with the nail grinder!!

105 pounds?! Wow girl you aint no bigger then a minute!!! lol! lol! I'm chunky..170 here shhhhhhhhh dont tell no one!! lol! Razz

LOL. Yes I'm tiny. I tried to gain 10 pounds. It didnt work Sad .......I tried the nail grinder on all the dogs. I went out and bought a dremel nail grinder. Gemyni didnt mind it at all but I also paint her nails and clip them(she won't be going to a groomer except my friend Christine. I can't have two dogs that act up! lol), Legend didnt mind it. I gave him some peanut butter so he was more than happy! I treid on my stepmoms new puppy. She just sat there and stared at me and then looked at her paw! lol. And the dog they are dog sitting She didnt like it but she had no choice!
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm glad that the nail grinder worked! I think using a nail grinder is a lot better any way because then you dont have to worry if your cutting to close to the cuticul(sp) Bones has really dark nails, so I dont clip his either, those two are about the only two I use a nail grinder on.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2006 7:37 am

Zues don't mind me clipping his nails at all but I haven't had to clip Rocky's yet, other than the constant licking of my hand when I touch his feet I don't think I will have any trouble!
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
pitbullbabe
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
pitbullbabe

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2006-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 2:26 am

im a groomer so i can go there w/ them all dogs hate it ill tell u that lol pig
~jill
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:05 am

The last time that har had his nails done, was 2 years ago... We have a concrete backyard, so that kinda does the job..
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:35 am

pitbullbabe wrote:
im a groomer so i can go there w/ them all dogs hate it ill tell u that lol pig
~jill

I worked w/ a friend of mine who is a groomer. I've helped her hold dogs so they don't injure themselves thrasing around. BUT I never have had one like Legend. I'm so glad Tina reminded me of the Dremel!! My 2 have no problems with there nails being done this way! Which reminds me Gemyni needs to get her nails painted someone called her a boy yesterday Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else...   Does anyone else... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pit Boss :: GENERAL TOPICS :: Q&A-
Jump to: