The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what types of work do you like?

Go down 
+4
wheezie wayne
schismatickennels
Oldfort
Pantera2006
8 posters
AuthorMessage
American

what types of work do you like? Empty
PostSubject: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 3:47 am

How does everyone feel about schutzhund training, protection training, Competition Training and tracking?

I'm really interested in all the above, including weight pull. I love to see dogs working, wether is schutzhund or tracking I think its all cool. My husband hunts, I really want to train chopper and Bones to track wounded deer. So far I havent found any dvds just books. Both dogs already know all the basic commands....sit, stay, down...ect. I think it would be really cool to have the dogs track the deer and then sit and stay with the deer until my husband got there.

The other question is, if you were training your dogs, what would you use....a shock collar or clicker? I would try both out, see what I liked best. I would also like to learn german commands. I know they arent German sheps but I just think its all cool. Does really matter?? lol!

I actually had someone ask me why in the h*ll I would try to teach a pitbull german commands? Well the way I see it is if a shepard or a doberman can learn why not a pit?
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 4:13 am

I like everything but protection training! I don't feel it is right to make a pit feel it is okay to attack a human when they were bred to be completely loyal to man. They will naturally protect us without out being trained to do so but to each it's own. I think the pit is one of the best working dogs out there and a die hard pleaser! Shame they are not in the working class as of yet!

Oh I use both negative and positive rewards for training. I have never used a clicker or a shock collar. I do use hand signals and they pick up very quickly and easily!
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 4:38 am

Hahahhahaha Sorry, i dont train my dogs... They know the basics and thats it... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 4:40 am

I think some of my dogs dont even know the basis!!! As long as they know PULL, WORK, and DIG we are golden!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 4:52 am

LOL ya true eh!!!! As long as mine dont eat garbage... Im good... Smile
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 5:38 am

I do that because i intend to get them all cgc. I also don't want them going nuts on me at the shows but Andy I'm sure when you tell your dogs to do something they know what you expect.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 5:48 am

Andy there's no way you can get a dog to pose like that without knowing some sort of basic training. LOL Crazy fool.

Sit, Stay, Come, Here, and You want your food, and my doggies know what's up. lol DOWN is the hardest one right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 am

im really intrigued by the french ring
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 8:03 pm

yeah they all know the necessary commands!
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 8:32 pm

Don't yell at me oldfart!

I just read the topic of this discussion, and it says ...

"What types of work do you like"

I don't like work, I like to sit on my fat butt, so does that make me a cur? Someone put me down. I'm not blue though. hmmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Mikado does therapy work. I want to do search and rescue with Chalice. We are working on the basic right now. She had a favorite toy that she would bring to me when I asked but Mikado took it's head off so she doesn't like it anymore. I think I'm going to do weight pulling with Chalice too as she is more high strung than Mikado.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2006 9:44 pm

Trapjawkennels does tracking and hunting with his pits it's awesome. I thought about stuff like that but not till I reach my goal then that will become a new goal lol. It's so awesome all the things we can do with this breed but yet folks wanna get rid of them they must be nuts!!!!
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 12:05 am

Legend-OB-on leash and off leash,WP(training), Agility(training), CGC/Therapy Dog(End of January for CGC), TT(18 months old), and we are going to try tracking for S&R. To see if he likes it.
Gemyni- OB,WP(once she gets old enough) and maybe flyball or agility. Just can't have her and Legend in the same agility/flyball class. There too goofy together! lol
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 1:07 am

schismatickennels wrote:

I don't like work, I like to sit on my fat butt, so does that make me a cur? Someone put me down. I'm not blue though. hmmmm

Razz Razz Razz drunken
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 1:29 am

Basically when I say protection work I'm talking about the French ring and the Mondio Ring which means "world ring"....its a combination of the French ring and the Belgian ring sport, The KNPV and Schutzhund.

The French ring training involves the Gaurd, The backward heel to ward off a rear attack, Food refusal and how to work under gun fire. In no way would I ever purposly let my dogs attack a human or animal. Yes they would protect without training I have NO doubt about that...I just think a dog that knows the "bark and hold" command without attacking is a good thing to know. I also like muzzled training...a dog that can use his body weight to stop an attacker without biting.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 1:35 am

American my reply was in refrence to protection training only.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 3:28 am

I dont really like the idea but this dog is awsome.

http://www.k9sts.com/rumblefarmmovie/
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 7:07 am

ive seen that video before, verry impressive, i would rather have my dog be able to do that then be a worl claa WP champ any day of the week
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 am

I rather have a super dog then just be focused on that but that's just me.

That is one awesome dog though!!! Can't deny that, it's just not my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 8:17 am

to me that is a super dog, i think everything starts with obedience
Back to top Go down
Judy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Judy

Number of posts : 202

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 9:59 am

Errr... we do the "tennis ball" work rendeer
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 1:33 pm

wheezie wayne wrote:
to me that is a super dog, i think everything starts with obedience

Without obedience there is nothing lol. That training is more then ob though but a superdog is a dog titled in at least three areas such as conformation, ob, agility, wp etc. I prefer my dog being well rounded not just good at this or that but good with tons of stuff. Like I said rumble was awesome!!! That is awesome work but just not my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2006 12:57 am

GRRRRRRR....I cant see the video!!! No matter what I do...whats the dog doing? What breed is it?? LOL sorry I just wanna know lol!
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2006 4:38 am

Its a pitty, and its training, And man is he doing a great job!!! affraid I so want a dog like that... That dog listened to every word that the trainer said... Awesome I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what types of work do you like?   what types of work do you like? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what types of work do you like?
Page 1 of 1