The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Your take on Inbreeding

Go down 
+2
Pantera2006
APBT4ME
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
redsky

Your take on Inbreeding Empty
PostSubject: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 am

Is it bad or good in your opinion and why?

How inbred is ok if you think any of it is ok (give examples)?

Would you breed full siblings?

Would you breed mother/son or father/daughter?

Would you do more then two generations at a time of inbreeding?

What are some of the negatives and positives of inbreeding in your opinion?

Give an example of an inbreeding gone bad and one of a good one.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 2:51 am

Is it bad or good in your opinion and why? I believe an inbreding can be a good thing but in a way I would rather line breed. I say this because with an inbreeding you are risking either getting a really good litter or a really bad one. If the line carries unknown genetic issues and most likely both would be carries since they are from the same parents or are closely related it would produce some health defects that could be unknown. On the positive side it could pull out all the good traits.

How inbred is ok if you think any of it is ok (give examples)? I would not breed full siblings or do several generations of inbreeding.

Would you breed full siblings? no full siblings are like clones in some aspects and could really produce some ugly stuff.

Would you breed mother/son or father/daughter? I would possible do this if both dogs possesd characteristics I am after or I needed to shrink the height of my line.

Would you do more then two generations at a time of inbreeding? No I'm a genetic nut and not going to risk it.

What are some of the negatives and positives of inbreeding in your opinion? You could produce a very correct dog with a nice pedigree but inbreeding sometimes cost the temperment or some other genetic defect.

Give an example of an inbreeding gone bad and one of a good one. The inbreeding of full siblings I witnessed produced two pups of which one was not fully developed at birth and the other was just huge and the mom killed it. I have also seen an inbreeding produce some !!!!! nice dogs!
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 3:20 am

Is it bad or good in your opinion and why? Not desirable. I'm not a big fan of inbreeding, too close of an inbreeding can cause more harm than good IMO

How inbred is ok if you think any of it is ok (give examples)? If I did any inbreeding it would grandmother to grandson or grandfather to granddaughter. Any closer than that makes the gene pool too shallow.
Would you breed full siblings? NO!

Would you breed mother/son or father/daughter? NO!

Would you do more then two generations at a time of inbreeding? NO!

What are some of the negatives and positives of inbreeding in your opinion? I've never seen a good perpose of inbreeding. You can get good results from not inbrreding with risking defects.

I have a couple but i'll just give one that is the same as the rest.
A father to daughter breed was done, and 5 out of 7 pups where where menatally unstable and quite a few health probs. I've seen this in about 8 inbreedings. Either mother to son or father to daughter. The gene pool gets too shallow and that when defect occur. Three of them, i believe where a 2 gen inbreeding.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 3:31 am

Hahaha You guys are super good at this eh!!!
Razz
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 3:54 am

Hey Hemi you do realize most edge dogs as well as game dogs are major inbred right? I see it done in the show lines also. Not saying I agree with it but there have been some folks that had success with it but again i'm not one to take major risk but I do plan on doing an inbreeding in 09 just to see what comes of it plus to keep a pup back if it turns out like I hope. I do tend to favor line breeding more so then inbreeding it's not as risky and you tend to get the same results. Cross your fingers for me in 09 lol. I'll either be really upset I did such a dumb thing or it will make me very proud but time will tell.

A certain member of the board has done an Inbreed and I must say the pup that was kept back looks !!!!! good and all of you have said so to so it's not always all negative. BTW he has a great temperment to which I have seen on the videos that's been shared with me!
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 4:06 am

Yeah, I've read a lot of peds that where inbred. It happens a lot which is why I don't do it.
I'm just not that kind of a risk taker. I would rather achieve the same goals with out inbreeding.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 4:11 am

Well I'm not a big risk taker myself but someone made a point to me that i couldn't deny. You never know until you try.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 4:33 am

redsky wrote:
Is it bad or good in your opinion and why? can be relatively good, if you are looking for smaller dogs, with the same qualities, then yes I think its a good thing. You also have to be aware of the genetic risks, and also that you may have to cull pups.

How inbred is ok if you think any of it is ok (give examples)? How inbred? man I don't know, trial and error I guess. Don't look at chances ped if you don't want to see very inbred dogs.

Would you breed full siblings? Yes I would.

Would you breed mother/son or father/daughter? Yes I would

Would you do more then two generations at a time of inbreeding? whew ..uhm explain this one to me. I think I have.

What are some of the negatives and positives of inbreeding in your opinion? negatives, genetic defects. smaller pups, culling

positives, the same quality, same temperment, overall structure.

I can't give any examples of bad, I've done two breedings, both very inbred and I have chance and taz from them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 5:00 am

These are Michelle's responses I reposted chelle cause I didn't like how that was lol hope you don't mind lol:

Is it bad or good in your opinion and why? can be relatively good, if you are looking for smaller dogs, with the same qualities, then yes I think its a good thing. You also have to be aware of the genetic risks, and also that you may have to cull pups.

How inbred is ok if you think any of it is ok (give examples)? How inbred? man I don't know, trial and error I guess. Don't look at chances ped if you don't want to see very inbred dogs.

Would you breed full siblings? Yes I would.

Would you breed mother/son or father/daughter? Yes I would

Would you do more then two generations at a time of inbreeding? whew ..uhm explain this one to me. I think I have.

What are some of the negatives and positives of inbreeding in your opinion? negatives, genetic defects. smaller pups, culling
positives, the same quality, same temperment, overall structure.

I can't give any examples of bad, I've done two breedings, both very inbred and I have chance and taz from them.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 5:05 am

that looks better..lol I was lazy...farao
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 5:10 am

schismatickennels wrote:
that looks better..lol I was lazy...farao

I got your back Wink
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 5:13 am

LOL flower
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 7:31 am

I only have one opion on it, and I think its completely wrong....as far as breeding mother to son or father to daughter. I'm not sure about Grandsire to granddaughter. I've never seen an inbreeding....but I mean the big reason why I think its wrong is because, I think it would be the same as inbreeding humans. We wouldnt do that, so why do it with animals. Besides all that, what if the whole litter come out deformed??

Now, I'm not knocking any one im just posting my opion on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 8:21 am

Ok I may lose some respect on this one but first of all INBREEDING is NOT GrandFather/Daughter or GrandMother/SOn, this is line breeding and VERY PROFITABLE. INBREEDING is FATHER/DAUGHTER or MOTHER/SON or FULL BROTHER TO FULL SISTER.

THis is the best reading I have done on this topic and explains it well===
www.gamedogs.com/pedigrees.htm

Would I inbreed, YES you can highlight the best traits in your dogs this way. Also you can higlight the negatives so culling is necessary.

Would I breed Brother/SISTER? I dont think so.

Would I breed Father to Daughter or Mother to SON. YES but litter will have to be monitored.

Would I do more than two inbreedings in a row? Probably not but some very good dogs have been produced this way.
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 8:48 am

Andy I think folks will learn in due time that great things come out of trial and error and when you limit yourself to out crossing and very selective line breeding you don't always get what you want! I know folks been doing it that way for eight to twelve years and still aint happy. If you look at any of the well known kennels from bully to game to show they all inbreed! Your dog is gonna have an inbred line somewhere in there and scatter bred peds are not respected at all! Yep line breeding and inbreeding are not the same one is direct family the other is distant.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 9:09 am

yep your right Andy. to me preserving the line I run is very important, so line breeding is essential period.

And its not like inbreeding humans btw. lol
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 9:30 am

schismatickennels wrote:
yep your right Andy. to me preserving the line I run is very important, so line breeding is essential period.

When you run your own line you will inbred to hold it true and line breed to carry it on!
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 10:33 am

MY future intentions with the breeding we just did is to down the line take Switch to the female from the Rebel X Gracie breeding. I also plan to take Switch to Gracie and Rebel to the female from that breeding. That is line breeding IMO.
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 10:37 am

i wana see what your gonna do with capone... i love that dog lol
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 3:22 pm

Oldfort wrote:
MY future intentions with the breeding we just did is to down the line take Switch to the female from the Rebel X Gracie breeding. I also plan to take Switch to Gracie and Rebel to the female from that breeding. That is line breeding IMO.

Thats good line breeding.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 7:58 pm

MidwestBully wrote:
Oldfort wrote:

Thats good line breeding.

Maybe so but still limiting the genes but also may be pulling some great ones so my point is either you risk some things and gain victory, have a bad experience or ya just never know! If it wasn't for inbreeding alot of the greats would never have existed! I am no big fan of inbreeding honestly but sometimes you do have to try some things.
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 am

LOL Michelle....I always get to thinking about what other memebers say and what I've said. Like this discussion, I can see breeding the Grandsire back to Granddam....but NOT father to daughter, Mother to son or Brother to sister. I just dont feel the temperments would be right, like their might be something mentally wrong with the animal. Or it could be that the whole litter turned out deformed.

This is what I was told(when I got bones) I dont believe it but I just dont know for a fact if its true or not. It was said that Bone's parents were brother and sister. He is H/A and I dont like it, not that I havent tried socializing him, because I have. There's nothing physically wrong with him, but mentally I wonder.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 2:25 am

AmericanPitbull wrote:

[color=black]
This is what I was told(when I got bones) I dont believe it but I just dont know for a fact if its true or not. It was said that Bone's parents were brother and sister. He is H/A and I dont like it, not that I havent tried socializing him, because I have. There's nothing physically wrong with him, but mentally I wonder.

That does have something to do with breeding in general but not inbreeding per say. Yes you can produce dogs with nasty temperments but the parents have to have bad temperments to that's why we do selective breeding! You can get bad temp. from two totally unrelated dogs by not being careful at what your using! Inbreeding two dogs with good to great temperments will not produce a dog with a bad temperment!!
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 6:34 am

Well, I know its not like humans but I still can't get my head around the moral aspect of it... Suspect LOL...
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 8:07 am

All of these GREAT FOUNDATION DOGS are linebred and inbred! Many of these dogs are also ROM>

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=34

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=103590

INBRED
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=41997

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=60

ROM
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=191175

linebred
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=191175
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your take on Inbreeding   Your take on Inbreeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your take on Inbreeding
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next