The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Questions for Oldfort and Redsky!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
American

Questions for Oldfort and Redsky! Empty
PostSubject: Questions for Oldfort and Redsky!   Questions for Oldfort and Redsky! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 4:12 am

The first question is for Oldfort....How long did it take you to get Rebel and the rest of your dogs to pull? Do all dogs when training to weightpull automatically put their heads down or do you have to teach them to do that? Also whats with the points, could you explain that for me, because everytime I try to go to IWPA website it does the same thing like the board did last night!

Okay Redsky heres the question for you....Could a British Style slip lead be used when showing? If so do they have to have a choke collar on?
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Oldfort and Redsky!   Questions for Oldfort and Redsky! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 4:30 am

AmericanPitbull wrote:
The first question is for Oldfort....How long did it take you to get Rebel and the rest of your dogs to pull? Do all dogs when training to weightpull automatically put their heads down or do you have to teach them to do that? Also whats with the points, could you explain that for me, because everytime I try to go to IWPA website it does the same thing like the board did last night!

Okay Redsky heres the question for you....Could a British Style slip lead be used when showing? If so do they have to have a choke collar on?

i wouldn't use a british style slip lead. one of the reasons we use choke style collars and leads is to kind of have more control of the dog should one decide to attempt to go at the competition.

Not all dogs put their heads down when pulling only the ones that are naturally good workers do that. As with anything else in life you have to work to become the best and sometimes everybody is not meant to be the best at the same stuff. You will have dogs that are naturally outstanding workers and other dogs that don't like to even look at the harness or have the drive to do that type of work. You have to try your dog out and decide for yourself if it's worth the effort!

Last edited by redsky on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Oldfort and Redsky!   Questions for Oldfort and Redsky! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 5:01 am

How long did it take.............well they pulled the first time I hooked them up. They didnt know what they were doing but they were pulling. It takes time and experience. Rebel didnt start pulling good until the latter part of this year and Bailey seemed to just turn it on over night. Getting the head down is how I like my dogs to pull but not all dogs do. Some get high in the shoulders and pull and it very effective too. Some hit the weight and try to bump it but I am not a fan of this and seldom do dogs like these pull good when the weight gets heavy. My main goal in a pulling dog is to get that dog to try and pull when the weight is so heavy they cant pull it, BUT THEY STILL TRY. This is what I am looking for!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Oldfort and Redsky!   Questions for Oldfort and Redsky! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions for Oldfort and Redsky!
Page 1 of 1