The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Protective pits..

Go down 
+5
wheezie wayne
LegendsMami
segerspits
Anna @ Nikanas Pits
ericschevy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 12:31 am

Not including trained just naturally, Are your pits protective of you and/or your family? Do you allow it?
Rocky is not but then again he is only 6 months old. Zues is but not fiercely, he will rush the door when someone knocks at the door then he will come sit on my foot and growl until they leave.
What are your feelings on Protection Training, from what I have read they do not make good protective dogs because when bred properly they are naturally friendly. (NOT MY WORDS, I READ THAT somewhere)
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Anna @ Nikanas Pits
mature pup
mature pup
Anna @ Nikanas Pits

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2006-11-14

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 12:50 am

Mine will also rush the door, but usually when the ppl come in they are fine and want all the love and attention they can get. Brandy is a weird one though, sometimes she will not stop barking at some ppl. She gets in trouble for doing that. The way i figure it, If I let someone in my home the dogs better comply, THIS IS MY HOUSE NOT THEIRS!! But if I'm in danger or someone broke in....well then thats another story.

As for protection training....I think it's awesome to see a well trained dog in action, but personally I don't think Pits should be. It's not what they were bred for, they were bred to NOT be human aggresive! Not to mention that I think it adds fuel to the BSL ppl's fire. They seem to wanna twist everything around to make the pits look bad! And the picture of a pit attacking a person, protection trained or not, I think they would be more than happy to use against pittys. We all know they wouldn't tell the public the dog was trained for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/nikanas
segerspits
Ankle Biter
Ankle Biter

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2006-12-22

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 1:03 am

My dogs are the same way they willl bark at someone that pulls in the driveway but once they are let in the house they shutup and just want to be loved on. As far as protection training goes i feel the same way as Anna, BSl has a feild day with it because they just see it as another viscious pit not a well trained and behaved dog
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/segerspits
redsky

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 1:05 am

Mine are all protective and yes I do allow it because should the need arise I want them to do what they have to!! That's not to say they just run up and bite just anyone they have to feel i'm being threatened or i have to tell em watch em. They also rush the door and Midas is the only one that has not yet learned that once i let someone in it's okay. Midas actually encourages Kikie to bite so he never has to do the dirty work lol. They've never drew blood off anyone just a nibble to let folks know they aren't playing. Sierra will give a growl for a warning by then i have reassured her it's okay and she is fine.
Back to top Go down
redsky

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 1:06 am

I've already posted somewhere around here on my feelings about protection training lol. I'll just say it's not my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
American

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 2:50 am

Chopper is naturally protective...He will also charge the door when someone knocks, then he will sit at my son's feet and growl, like he is sayin "stay away from him" if my son isnt around then he is usually at my feet(he loves his mom..lol). He will only allow others to pet him if my husband or I are around. Chopper has also been trained to NOT take food from strangers(we have one neighbor in general that will poison animals around town).

Bones is DEFINETLY(sp) protective....We bottle feed him when he was born because his mom wasnt taking care of him. That was so cool, holding him when he was that tiny makeing sure his little pitty belly was full...lol There is absolutely NO way anyone is walking into this house uninvited. And I can't say that we didnt socialize him with other animals or humans, because we definitely did. He is just set in his way's.

Babu is iffy...before he had his accident he was protective, he is a little now. But he gives a few little barks and then he will go to his pen without being told to do so.

Medusa is starting to bark at strangers...but thats about it, she seems like the worlds friendliest pit bull. LOL she will wiggle her butt so hard I swear its gonna snap off! She loves other animals, its serious play time when theres other dogs around!

I dont see anything wrong with protection training, only if its being used for competitive sports, like the french ring. But to purposly train an APBT to attack anything is just wrong. I think bite work is also okay only if your going to be competeing in a competitive sport, and ONLY when the dog has been completely obedience trained and follows commands. Just training an APBT to attack or teaching it bite work(when you yourself dont even understand it fully) is a big mistake and then you have a seriously dangerous weapon, which will lead to another state loosing the APBT to ignorant BSL law's. Thats just my opion on it.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 2:56 am

redsky wrote:
Mine are all protective and yes I do allow it because should the need arise I want them to do what they have to!! That's not to say they just run up and bite just anyone they have to feel i'm being threatened or i have to tell em watch em.

Same here with Legend. I always expected him to be super friendly but if he feels like I'm threaten he has no problem w/ jumping up on his hind legs to get in your face(not growling or barking) but to let you know hey don't bother my mom.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 3:07 am

I know it may depend on the state you live in but if a pit legitimently attacks a intruder in self defence in the house is it considered (self defence) just like if it were a shotgun and you were protecting yourself?? Meaning not grounds for euthanasia??
Back to top Go down
redsky

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 3:24 am

ericschevy wrote:
I know it may depend on the state you live in but if a pit legitimently attacks a intruder in self defence in the house is it considered (self defence) just like if it were a shotgun and you were protecting yourself?? Meaning not grounds for euthanasia??

Not in NC. I was told by the board of AC that if one of my dogs bit an intruder it would be put down cause dogs don't have rights humans do. I told this same official i guess i would have to cover up the fact that my dog killed this person then huh cause to put one down you'd have to put me down to! I was also told that you must have no tresspassing signs up not beware of dog for your dog to not be put down for it!
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 3:38 am

rico will ruch the door ... to lick you to death
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 3:51 am

wheezie wayne wrote:
rico will ruch the door ... to lick you to death
That's too funny...
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 4:03 am

redsky wrote:
ericschevy wrote:

Not in NC. I was told by the board of AC that if one of my dogs bit an intruder it would be put down cause dogs don't have rights humans do. I told this same official i guess i would have to cover up the fact that my dog killed this person then huh cause to put one down you'd have to put me down to! I was also told that you must have no tresspassing signs up not beware of dog for your dog to not be put down for it!

That's stupid considering the fact it's alright for police to train German Sheps to attack people, What the h311 is the difference??
I DON'T GET IT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
redsky

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 4:29 am

I didn't get it either but pits are die hard hated there!! They are put down without ever trying to be adopted out.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 6:11 am

Raven is pretty mouthy. She bark alotat people, but wouln't bite unless someone threatened her like smack at her or tried to hit her with something.
Hemi is pretty quiet unless he thinks I'm being hurt. Like the time me and a couple of friend had a cook out and we started pillow fighting. I pushed one of them in the pool so he got out chased me down and picked me up. So of course i'm screaming and kicking to get away. Hemi took that offensive and charged the fence from his kennel. He was serious! His fur was standing up and everything. I later let him out and he was just fine with the guy, let him rub his belly and everything. He was just protecting me.

So I guess i can yes. Mine are protective when they have to be.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
Dunlap

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2006-12-30

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 1:18 pm

My boy Boudreaux is DEFINATELY protective. He wont go crazy and attack someone on his own though, but if I tell him "watch em' boy, he gets stiff and lets out a low, deep growl". When I say get em', that's when he goes nuts lol. A few of my dogs are just big sissys but a couple are great watch dogs. Boudreaux is just an all around smart dog, be it inside or out he is always on the watch for us. What he really doesnt like is to see someone fighting/arguing/ or play wrestling. I had him with me out at a party one night and a guy through a chair at someone, Boudge freaked out tryin to get him because the chair went right beside me and he thought it was thrown at me...they stopped quick, LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com     www.freewebs.com/jdubldkennels
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Whew here we go....PROTECTION to me is just that, I expect my dogs to protect my family, I have bone headed Savanna, who wouldn't bark if a stranger walked into the yard and unleashed her, because she's was almost stolen before, and then I have Zoe. Man Zoe is something in herself, if she's in kennel or on chain, its a big no no to walk up to her, or go in the yard, she'll let you know asap that someone is definately there. Off chain, she's totally different. NO THE CHAIN DOESN"T MAKE HER AGGRESSIVE, it makes her protective. My children, my inlaws, myself, my husband can walk out there and she'll roll over on her back, at your feet, but if you're a stranger, its not going to happen, and frankly, I like it that way. Why have dogs, if they don't protect you? Why have a dog that won't bark if someone is in your yard they don't know? Pointless to me.

As far as protection training goes, this is my stance, and I've thought about this alot. Rotties, GSD, Dobie's all have been protection trained, for many many years. I had a GSD rip my face apart when I was a child, I've seen the damage a Rottie can do, and Dobies are generally used as protection dogs for families so they will indeed tear your arse up if provoked. Pit bulls are no different. NO dog should be human aggressive, but if they are trained with proper protection training methods, those dogs will not strike you unless they are told to do so. This to me makes you less succeptable to get bit, and more protected by your dog. The less room for error there is the better, and I feel like its extremely responsible to protection train, after way more thought. I felt the same way everyone else does, that "Our dogs aren't suppose to be human aggression and this is a double standard" But in fact its not, its teaching the dog, when it is appropriate TO protect and when it is. If you call a protection trained dog off, they stop immediately, BUT can you call your dog off someone if it isn't trained to do the training?
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
Anna @ Nikanas Pits
mature pup
mature pup
Anna @ Nikanas Pits

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2006-11-14

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm

schismatickennels wrote:
If you call a protection trained dog off, they stop immediately, BUT can you call your dog off someone if it isn't trained to do the training?

EXCELLENT POINT! Even though I don't agree with the training personally, for my dogs, that is definately a major point as to why the training is benifical to the eyes of the general public!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/nikanas
redsky

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Anna @ Nikanas Pits wrote:
schismatickennels wrote:
If you call a protection trained dog off, they stop immediately, BUT can you call your dog off someone if it isn't trained to do the training?

EXCELLENT POINT! Even though I don't agree with the training personally, for my dogs, that is definately a major point as to why the training is benifical to the eyes of the general public!

I don't know about yall but yep I can call my dog off and that's without them being protection trained. How can I say this because I've had to call them off before, not my current ones but ones I've had in the past. Your dog should be trained to respond to your every command anyways and if you can't call one off of a human then you definately got a problem!! I'm not saying I can call em right off another dog without doing something to break the attention off that dog but I can call my dogs off humans for sure!
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Zues became naturally protective and since he has I have decided to train him since It is apparent that he won't stop which is OK because like you said, whats the point of having a dog that doesnt tell you when there is an intruder. Not to mention it is much safer to have him trained then one that goes busurk and don't listen. Like Dunlaps Pits said If I say get em you better look out although I don't have to say watch em because he does that on his own and now that he is trained he just looks at his daddy
for permission. Very Happy This is only true at home, he is well behaved in public.

However I am still not sure where I stand on protection training with a pit that is not naturally protective to begin with. That is if Zues was not already protective I'm not sure I would want him to be simply because of their reputation alone. Not only that I have always had a problem with the fact that it is legal for the police but not the public.... Then again I have a problem with the police.

Funny thing, as I am writing this there is a guy walking his down the road.
I have seen him walking this dog for a couple of months now and he still does not have control of his dog.... affraid
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2007 11:59 pm

ive never been in the position where i or rico felt threatened to cause him to protect me.
Back to top Go down
redsky

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 02, 2007 12:15 am

ericschevy wrote:
Zues became naturally protective and since he has I have decided to train him since It is apparent that he won't stop which is OK because like you said, whats the point of having a dog that doesnt tell you when there is an intruder. Not to mention it is much safer to have him trained then one that goes busurk and don't listen. Like Dunlaps Pits said If I say get em you better look out although I don't have to say watch em because he does that on his own and now that he is trained he just looks at his daddy
for permission. Very Happy This is only true at home, he is well behaved in public.

However I am still not sure where I stand on protection training with a pit that is not naturally protective to begin with. That is if Zues was not already protective I'm not sure I would want him to be simply because of their reputation alone. Not only that I have always had a problem with the fact that it is legal for the police but not the public.... Then again I have a problem with the police.

Funny thing, as I am writing this there is a guy walking his down the road.
I have seen him walking this dog for a couple of months now and he still does not have control of his dog.... affraid

I think the thing to remember is if your dog is uncontrollable or can't be called off there is a problem and looking for professional training is a must!!! If i had one that I couldn't call off I would seek professional training help with it but since i've not run into that problem i just don't see a need to protection train.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2007 9:17 am

redsky wrote:
Mine are all protective and yes I do allow it because should the need arise I want them to do what they have to!! That's not to say they just run up and bite just anyone they have to feel i'm being threatened or i have to tell em watch em. They also rush the door and Midas is the only one that has not yet learned that once i let someone in it's okay. Midas actually encourages Kikie to bite so he never has to do the dirty work lol. They've never drew blood off anyone just a nibble to let folks know they aren't playing. Sierra will give a growl for a warning by then i have reassured her it's okay and she is fine.
Yep... I agree!!!! I want my dogs to know the diff....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Protective pits.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protective pits..   Protective pits.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Protective pits..
Page 1 of 1