The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whelping MUSTS!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 6:08 am

Well with all the expecting mothers out there I thought it would be a good idea to get some ideas of things needed durring whelping!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
redsky

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 am

Whelping MUSTS! Whelpingsupplylist-1
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am

I have this and many others printed and in my kennel files, but this is just a liitle of what I've got. (the basics)

Whelping Box
A box with sides large enough for the bitch to stretch out comfortably. She and the pups will live in the box for the first few weeks. The whelping box should have guard rails (also called pig rails) extending from the sides to protect the puppies from their mother rolling over on them.

Newspapers
Keep a good supply of newspapers on hand to line the whelping box during the actual whelping. As the papers become messy, you can just put a new layer down and clean the whole thing up when the whelping is over.

Trash Can
Keep a trash can on hand for use during the whelping and while the pups are growing up. Trust me -- puppies are messy!

Incubator Box
You'll need a smaller box on hand to put the puppies in when Mom is delivering another puppy. You don't want the pups to get cold so line it with a towel and keep it near a heat source or put a heating pad under the towel.

Sharp Safety Scissors
For cutting the umbilical cord.

Quick Stop Powder
To stop bleeding, if there is any, after cutting umbilical cord.

Betadine
For cleaning umbilical cord end after cut.

Dental Floss
For tying off the umbilical cord after cutting it.

Surgical Gloves
Use if you have to help deliver the puppies.

Digital Thermometer
For checking the bitch's temperature in the day's before her due date.

Bulb Syringe
For helping clear out puppies who are born with problems.

Flashlight
Puppies always seem to come in the middle of the night and if you need to let your bitch go outside, you'll need to keep a close eye on her. A good strong flashlight will make that easier.

Leash and flat buckle collar
Same reason as above. If you take her out on a leash, she's less likely to disappear into a dark corner and leave a puppy there without your knowledge.

Clock
For timing the whelping and the time between puppies.

Notebook
For recording details. The puppy sheets mentioned in the record keeping sheet will work as well.

Rickrack Ribbon
For identifying puppies. Tie a loose bit around each pups neck when you check them out and weigh them after birth.

Food Scale
For weighing the puppies at birth and daily thereafter.

Heating Lamp
A 100 watt bulb installed with a dimmer switch in one corner of the box will allow puppies to move toward the heat if they are too cool. The dimmer switch will allow you to control the heat.

Fan
If the weather is very hot, you should keep a fan on hand. This is more for the mother than the pups. Don't set the fan up to blow directly on the pups but rather to move the air across the top of the whelping box.

Whelping Box Pads or Blankets
While the pups are still in the whelping box, you'll need to keep a blanket or pad in their box. This pad will need to be changed twice a day or more, depending on how well the dam cleans up after the pups. A piece of fleece with a towel sewn to the back the same size as the whelping box makes a great pad. They can be washed and bleached to keep them clean. Having four on hand will keep you from having to do endless laundry. Don't put these pads in the whelping box until the whelping is over.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 9:51 am

First week for puppies...

Week One (Days 1-7)
DEVELOPMENT OF THE PUPPIES
90% of time spent sleeping
10% eating
Susceptible to heat/cold
Instinctive reflexes: crawl, seek warmth, nurse
They can right themselves if placed upside down
Needs stimulation for urination/defecation
Rapid development of central nervous system
Need constant care from bitch
Rectal temperatures 94-97
Pups may lose 10% of weight after birth, but should start gaining again
Weight should double by end of week
CARE OF THE PUPPIES
Chart weight daily (2 x daily first 2 days)
Examine puppies daily
Trim nails weekly
Keep whelping box around 85? (this means if it's hotter than that out, put a fan in the room or turn on the air conditioning, if it's colder than that get a heat lamp to put above the whelping box)
When you handle the puppies, it's a good idea use a towel when you hold them. The puppies urinate upon stimulation and will inevitably find your attention stimulating!
If your breed requires tail, ear, or dew claw docking, schedule this with your vet.

CARE OF THE BITCH
Keep dam on fluids for first 24 hours (i.e.. chicken broth, etc.)
Feed three full meals a day after that
Supplement with 250 mg Vitamin C twice daily
If puppies are fussy, supplement bitch with Vitamin B complex
Check mammary glands twice daily (looking for signs of mastitis -- swelling, hardness, pus, etc.)
Keep an eye on vaginal discharge (looking for signs of infection)
Make sure bitch eats, drinks, and relieves herself
TO DO LIST
Keep detailed records on puppies' weight and behavior
Keep charting bitch's temperature
Call puppy buyers with results of whelping
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 am

Nice!!! Great Job with that..... Smile
Back to top Go down
redsky

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 7:50 pm

Midwest i got that sheet in my whelping packet lol. It does come in handy lol. so if yall don't got it print it from right there lol. I also have the pregnancy time line for the females which i print new for their exact date with every breeding and I got a bunch of other junk in this pack, bought it off ebay a few years back for like a buck and it really does come in handy. Called the whelping e-book.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 pm

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

I don't think I need to add anything to the list......cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Ya it is a pretty long list, It covered the mojors....
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 3:25 am

Hey Christie I was trying to go the site where you got that list from but it appears to no longer exsist. Is there a way you could send it to me in an email as an attachment? Thanks

Thats a pretty comprehensive list.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 4:12 am

Andy, I sent it to ya. cherry
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 8:06 am

I can't remember the exact link, but I got it from a Chow site. scratch
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 9:13 am

TY TY TY:cheers: Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 am

You guys wouldnt believe what people think of you when you take care of your momma and pups.
As you all know, I have had the 2 litters. The first one-12 pups, 6 males 6 females... 1 Red brindle female, 1 patched dark brindle female, 1 dark brindle male, 3 male black and white, with spots on the back of their necks, 1 black and white female with Tshirt markings, 4 chocolate males with spots on the back of their necks, and 1 female with the spot on the back of her neck.
2nd litter 8 males 2 females...1 red brindle female, 1 chocolate brindle female, 1 dark brindle male, 1 all black male, 1 white with black spots male, 1 white with brown spots male, 1 chocolate tshirt marks male, and 3 chocolate males with spots on the back of their necks....
Now.... The whole reason for that, was I really loved those pups.... I did alot for them and the mom... I would bathe the pups, clean their bums, brush, handle them...
When Lita wa having them, i had on my gloves, annd i would tie the cords, check for deformites, make sure the nose was clear and put them on the nipple, I did this while i had a 2 week old infant...
After she was done, I waited a day, the first litter, it took 2 days for her to have them...I found 11 the one day then on the 17th of novemeber, we found the dark brindle male, It was a shock to me....
So after she had them, i checked to see if there was milk, i expressed it.. i checked her valva for tears and clots, i gave her a bath with just water to clean her off, and make her feel better, i had to apply unscented baby powder between her boobs, cuz she had a wicked rash!!! But i took care of the dam and pups... People thought i was nuts!!! I had people tell me i was gross, I would roll Lita over and check her "area" and people were grossd out by that... Meh, what can ya do eh....
The moral of the long post is......... I really think with more education, and the space, i could be a good breeder like you guys, i just dont have the space, time, i got lots of that, my youngest is going to school this year, but i dont know if you guys saw the fight on go pitbull, with "king of the scums" called me a BYB.... I was mad!!!!! If she only knew what i went through for those pups!!!! Evil or Very Mad and she had the testies to say that to me!!!
I dont know, i was just thinking how lucky you all are, and i think i wanna move from Canada just to try my hand at that....well, maybe i could go to Alberta, but how long till BSL hits there..
So, sorry for my post, im just rambling!!!! Just alot on the mind...
Back to top Go down
redsky

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Oldfort wrote:
Hey Christie I was trying to go the site where you got that list from but it appears to no longer exsist. Is there a way you could send it to me in an email as an attachment? Thanks

Thats a pretty comprehensive list.

I'll send you the whole ebook Andy really comes in handy!
Back to top Go down
redsky

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Pantera2006 wrote:
You guys wouldnt believe what people think of you when you take care of your momma and pups.
As you all know, I have had the 2 litters. The first one-12 pups, 6 males 6 females... 1 Red brindle female, 1 patched dark brindle female, 1 dark brindle male, 3 male black and white, with spots on the back of their necks, 1 black and white female with Tshirt markings, 4 chocolate males with spots on the back of their necks, and 1 female with the spot on the back of her neck.
2nd litter 8 males 2 females...1 red brindle female, 1 chocolate brindle female, 1 dark brindle male, 1 all black male, 1 white with black spots male, 1 white with brown spots male, 1 chocolate tshirt marks male, and 3 chocolate males with spots on the back of their necks....
Now.... The whole reason for that, was I really loved those pups.... I did alot for them and the mom... I would bathe the pups, clean their bums, brush, handle them...
When Lita wa having them, i had on my gloves, annd i would tie the cords, check for deformites, make sure the nose was clear and put them on the nipple, I did this while i had a 2 week old infant...
After she was done, I waited a day, the first litter, it took 2 days for her to have them...I found 11 the one day then on the 17th of novemeber, we found the dark brindle male, It was a shock to me....
So after she had them, i checked to see if there was milk, i expressed it.. i checked her valva for tears and clots, i gave her a bath with just water to clean her off, and make her feel better, i had to apply unscented baby powder between her boobs, cuz she had a wicked rash!!! But i took care of the dam and pups... People thought i was nuts!!! I had people tell me i was gross, I would roll Lita over and check her "area" and people were grossd out by that... Meh, what can ya do eh....
The moral of the long post is......... I really think with more education, and the space, i could be a good breeder like you guys, i just dont have the space, time, i got lots of that, my youngest is going to school this year, but i dont know if you guys saw the fight on go pitbull, with "king of the scums" called me a BYB.... I was mad!!!!! If she only knew what i went through for those pups!!!! Evil or Very Mad and she had the testies to say that to me!!!
I dont know, i was just thinking how lucky you all are, and i think i wanna move from Canada just to try my hand at that....well, maybe i could go to Alberta, but how long till BSL hits there..
So, sorry for my post, im just rambling!!!! Just alot on the mind...

Pantera you doing all that sounds as if your a great breeder already! I was telling someone (won't call names) that I did this that and the other well she told me all she does is grab a pen, paper and chair! I said wtf you don't help she says no that nature takes it's course. Okay that's all true but don't knock me because I care a lil more then you and want to be involved in the entire process it really is a great way to bound wiht your dog and the pups! I wouldn't do it any other way!! I know it cost me a lot more then her but when my whole litter is still alive and you only have one or a few don't look at me and say dang what did i do wrong!
Back to top Go down
redsky

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 pm

schismatickennels wrote:
Andy, I sent it to ya. cherry
Just saw this lol. Chelle did you send the ebook? Well if not i sent the whole book lol, it does come in handy all types of stuff in there.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 pm

LOL nope i didn't have it either....ty ..Wink
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 12:57 am

Thanks so much!!! I just hoped that i would help those pups to a good start... They were so cute!!!! My fave was from the 2nd litter, twin to his mom.... He would follow me EVERYWHERE,haha... He would latch on to my socks and i would drag him, my kids thought that was the funnest thing ever!!!! Hehe.... I miss it, its like having babies, You miss that when your kids get older right... I dont know, Thanks for reading my ramble tho!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whelping MUSTS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whelping MUSTS!   Whelping MUSTS! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whelping MUSTS!
Page 1 of 1