The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL

Go down 
+2
schismatickennels
LegendsMami
6 posters
AuthorMessage
redsky

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Those that are in IL will want to find out what's going on with this. I've been told by another breeder in IL that they are making it mandatory to get this testing done annually. They have not yet decided what they will do about the dogs that test positive but your whole yard will be on lock down if any show up positive.

Brucellosis is most commonly passed through the breeding of the dogs but can also be passed in other ways! This disease can cause your dogs to become sterile and even possibly kill them. You should get all dogs tested before breeding them for your own safety!! A dog can have this without ever being bred. I forget what state it is (will have to go back and ask cause i got this info from another breeder) but they have passed laws so that any dogs found having this disease are immediately put down because of how it is spreading and fastly becoming a problem.

Here are some links on it:
http://www.wildsidekennels.com/articles/brucellosis.html
http://www.spc.org.nc/rahs/Manual/Canine-Feline/BRUCELLOSIS
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/debrucel.html

Here is some contact info for Il. :
http://www.agr.state.il.us/AnimalHW/labs/serologylab.html
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Good post....Yikes! Too much stress in breeding for me! lol I'll leave it up to you pros!
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 12:16 am

LegendsMami wrote:
Good post....Yikes! Too much stress in breeding for me! lol I'll leave it up to you pros!

lol even dogs taht aren't bred should be tested. They can still catch it. This disease is not only contageous to your furry friends, but to you as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 1:31 am

Wow thats scary. I'm not too far from IL. Hemi goes on the 17th for his check up and blood work. I was gonna wait til he was 2yrs for Brucellosis test but i might as well have it done this week too.

How else can they catch it?
Back to top Go down
redsky

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 1:40 am

MidwestBully wrote:
Wow thats scary. I'm not too far from IL. Hemi goes on the 17th for his check up and blood work. I was gonna wait til he was 2yrs for Brucellosis test but i might as well have it done this week too.

How else can they catch it?

They can catch it through urine, fecal, blood etc. Has to be body fluids though. I don't think it is something that should scare folks but everyone needs to test and be aware of it. Get scared if you get a positive result. Rather you breed or not test your dogs, better safe then sorry (always my motto) and you could still spread it and again your dog can get this rather it is bred or not if exposed to it!
Back to top Go down
redsky

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 1:45 am

Here's another good link on it and it's a government link:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahps/brucellosis/
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 3:22 am

schismatickennels wrote:
LegendsMami wrote:

lol even dogs taht aren't bred should be tested. They can still catch it. This disease is not only contageous to your furry friends, but to you as well.

I'm calling the Vet and making an appointment!!!! I wonder if Gemyni should be tested as well she's 12 weeks and Legend's 12.5 months?
Back to top Go down
redsky

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 4:19 am

LegendsMami wrote:
schismatickennels wrote:
LegendsMami wrote:

I'm calling the Vet and making an appointment!!!! I wonder if Gemyni should be tested as well she's 12 weeks and Legend's 12.5 months?

Honestly I wouldn't worry about testing Gemyni just yet she is still a baby. Now if something comes back wrong on the other then go ahead and test her.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 4:36 am

redsky wrote:
LegendsMami wrote:
schismatickennels wrote:
LegendsMami wrote:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about testing Gemyni just yet she is still a baby. Now if something comes back wrong on the other then go ahead and test her.

Okay.
Back to top Go down
Judy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Judy

Number of posts : 202

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 10:12 am

Wow. I did not know about this. Thanks for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: well   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 10:48 am

All I can say is its about time Not to lie.. I never knew about testing if you are not breeding but I think everyone breeding should have the test done..it makes no sense not to, but you know that alot of people are only in it for the money so why would they...makes me so mad No scratch but All I can say is making it madatory IMO is a great idea...maybe it will weed out alot of the BYB that are making it so hard for us to fight the BSL laws and that could care less about the rep and tempermant of the breed
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 am

Wow!!! That sounds rough!!!! Harley dont have any "you know whaties" I have never heard about that before....
Back to top Go down
American

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2006 2:20 pm

affraid I'm from Illinois! Well looks like after thanksgiving, the boys and medusa are headed to the vet! Thanks for posting that, cause I would of never known!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRUCELLOSIS IN IL   BRUCELLOSIS IN IL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BRUCELLOSIS IN IL
Page 1 of 1