The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More bad press

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 7:25 am

copied from another site

Pit Bull Owners are criminals- I THINK NOT!
Body: All pitbull owners are criminals - i think NOT
Body: This was published in the Windsor Star 11/15/06 If you want to comment and write the paper please do, the e-mail address is....
letters@thestar.canwest.com

Published: Wednesday, November 15, 2006
People who own "high-risk" dogs such as pit bulls are more likely to have past criminal convictions than other dog owners, says a new study.

But Natalie Kemeny, a local pit bull owner and advocate, was shocked by the suggestion.

"Where we live, and the people that I know, that information is truly false.

"I'm not a criminal," said the 36-year-old.

"I've never even gone through a red light. And I own a pit bull-type dog."

In a study published in the current issue of the Journal of Interpersonal Violence, researchers from the University of Cincinnati examined a sample of 355 dogs and their owners.

The authors categorized as "high-risk" all pit-bull-type dogs, as well as dogs of breeds that had killed or seriously injured a person without provocation, or killed another dog.

Of the sample group, 164 dogs including pit bulls, Rottweilers, Akitas and chows fell into the "high-risk" category. Every one of their owners was found to have at least one criminal conviction or traffic citation on record.

Only 27 per cent of those with "low-risk" dogs such as beagles, spaniels and collies were found to have past legal troubles.

The study also suggests that owners of "high-risk" canines are almost seven times more likely than other dog owners to have been convicted of aggressive crimes, eight times more likely to have drug convictions, and five times more likely to have alcohol-related convictions.

"For some persons, owning a dog that has a reputation for aggression is considered a highly desirable feature," the study notes.

But Kemeny said she'd like to know how the researchers collected their sample group.

"Where did they go to do this survey, the local prison?"

Co-founder of the Windsor-based pit bull rescue coalition Advocates for the Underdog, Kemeny said she doesn't know any owners of pit bull-type dogs that have ever been convicted of a crime.

"I, myself, am a professional. My rescue partner works for RE/MAX realty," she said. "We have over 850 people on our mailing list, and we know them all.... They all have full-time professional jobs."

Although pit bull ownership is restricted by Ontario legislation, Windsor city council preceded the province by introducing a city-wide ban on pit bulls in September 2004.

The city's licensing commissioner, Diane Sibley, said the new study was the first she had heard of a correlation between "high-risk" dog breeds and their owners' criminal records.

"There was nothing like this when we (introduced the pit bull ban)," she said. "In fact, that was one of the criticisms we received -- that there wasn't enough information to impose the ban."

Sibley said she was "definitely interested" in learning more about the study and said she would look into it.

Windsor-Essex County Humane Society president Doug Jeffery also said the study sounds interesting, but warned that people should be careful about how they interpret it. "There are pit bulls that are legal in Windsor that are not owned by criminals. I know those people," he said.

Jeffery said the bite of any large dog can be severe, and the matter comes down to the irresponsibility of owners -- "whether it be someone with a criminal background or someone who is just stupid, to put it very bluntly."
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: Re: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 7:29 am

Sigh look guys, now we are criminals, with records.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: hey   More bad press Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 9:03 am

I knew posting this on gopitbull would get it posted on other sited thanks OFK!!
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: Re: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 9:11 am

OMFG!!!! (sorry) That is so rude!!! I do not do drugs, i do not cause trouble and im not a criminal!!! Sad WTF is that!!!!! I really dont know what to say about that?? I am insulted about that...
Back to top Go down
redsky

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: Re: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 7:06 pm

I don't even know what to say to that besides I've never F***ing been to jail, I don't smoke or drink, I have a ba in accounting graduated with honors, never skipped school Perfect freaken attendance my whole life!! I just don't know what they will pull next??? Guess we all better assume the position cause we are criminals ya know.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: Re: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 pm

Evil or Very Mad

I'll have more to say at a later time. This is a family board and inapropriate language is all thats gonna come out right now Mad
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: Re: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2006 10:46 am

I hear ya!!! Mad Evil or Very Mad silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

More bad press Empty
PostSubject: Re: More bad press   More bad press Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More bad press
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pit Boss :: GENERAL TOPICS :: The Lounge-
Jump to: