The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guard dog?

Go down 
+5
show me real pits kennels
Oldfort
Mikado&Chalice
MidnightSkyKnl
bruh44
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bruh44
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 2:01 am

Hey all, I'm a new guy here. I have a AmStaff thats about 19 months old now. So far as I can tell he doesn't have a stitch of guard dog in him. He is a fixed male. Do these dogs grow up to be guard dogs? My wife and I are going to get a second dog in the next year. Are there breeds of pits that are good guard dogs? I have beed told that most pits are a deterent on looks alone, and they aren't very protective of property. I did have a friend years ago who's pit bit someones had after they cut the screen on thier house, and reached in to open the window, but for what people tell me that is rare for the breed. I supose I could go with another breed of dog, but so far I can't picture myself liking another type of dog as much as I like the one we already have.
Back to top Go down
MidnightSkyKnl
mature pup
mature pup
MidnightSkyKnl

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-02-22

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 4:17 am

I'll tell ya if your looking for a guard dog you need to find a different breed b/c these dogs weren't meant to be guard dogs. JMHO There are many that will be protective of their masters but not very protective over property there are some but few are good. Now about the best thing I could tell ya is get into some protection training with the dogs that would actually be about the only way you'll get a good guard dog out of a pit is to train it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightskykennels.com
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 am

It really does go against the nature of the pitbull to be human aggressive and most guard dogs are human aggressive IMO.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 10:46 am

Yeah most guarding done by these dogs is on looks alone. I was telling my wife we were going to have to get a GS to guard our APBT'S!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 9:12 pm

That is crazy but so true when I take Mikado into town I worry some one might try to grab him so I take my old yellow lab with to protect him. She wont let anyone close to the car.
Back to top Go down
Ankle Biter
Ankle Biter

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-04-12

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 4:20 am

You might think about a German Shepard or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Hicka (Hiccup)
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-07-26

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 3:54 am

Bandog,Rottweiler neopolitansk mastiff is good guard dogs(protection.)..... pitbull is breed to love people but hate other dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.swba.net
buzhunter
Admin
buzhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:28 pm

My pit will come unglued if anyone approaches the house or car but she was raised with a Rott and learned a lot of habits that way.
Back to top Go down
scottronics01
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
scottronics01

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: DOOWHAT?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:14 am

Ok first let me start by saying sorry for posting a responce to a post from July..
OK, Hicka. how can you honestly say that these dogs are bred to love people and hate other dogs! Yes it is true that these dogs throughout history have been bred to love and respect their human owners and handlers (those who did show human aggression were put down and not bred) However, to say that these dogs have been bred to hate other dogs and or any other animal is false! It is true that as part of the Terrier family they can be dog aggresive but this is as a breed and is not limited too or specific to Bully types!

Last edited by on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
Admin
buzhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 2:45 pm

"Hate" could probably be considered a layman's term but I think the point, more than likely, was that the APBT was bred to have a high prey drive and absolutely love to fight. Some may not be DA but still love the opportunity to destroy another dog or any other animal for that matter. DA and the desire to fight was, and still is, bred into the dogs along with an unmatched predisposition for submission to humans, master or stranger. It would not be difficult to find a HA "pit bull" type dog but there are other breeds that are better suited for, and bred for, the task. Check out the local shelters and rescues. You may find a good Rottweiler or GSD that will be likely to fit the job description.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 5:59 am

Oldfort wrote:
Yeah most guarding done by these dogs is on looks alone. I was telling my wife we were going to have to get a GS to guard our APBT'S!!!!!!!!!

LMAO That just sounds funny..
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Sponsored content

Guard dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guard dog?   Guard dog? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guard dog?
Page 1 of 1