The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier
 
HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share
 

 Honest Question.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Age : 40
Localisation : MI.
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 7:08 am

Why is it that breeders or even people who don't frown on people that want a purebred APBT with a pedigree just for a pet?

Is this only in the APBT breed or is it in others??

I was going to post this on GPB but we all know what would happen.
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 7:43 am

I don't know what you mean. If your talking a show quality dog as a pet of course folks aren't happy about that, those that show want their show quality dogs to go to homes that will continue to show and plus that helps make you and your dogs look better. I personally have held on to Boyd to make sure he goest to a home that will show him! Some try to get their dogs in top ten producers and such. That's not to say we dont' have pet pups in our litters cause we do but a pup that is first or second pick show quality you want SHOWN!
Back to top Go down
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 7:45 am

You also may want lines off that pup later and a pet home is usually on alter agreements!
Back to top Go down
American
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 11:53 am

I just dont understand the question.....Im guessing christi answerd it for ya...lol I read it earlier and I was lookin around for someone else to answer....lol!
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Age : 40
Localisation : MI.
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 12:32 pm

People say that if your not going to show or work it why do you need a purebread with a ped, get one from a shelter...
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member


Number of posts : 799
Age : 40
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2007 8:04 pm

not every pup will be show quality, if it is out of every litter your one heck of a lucky person.

I will sell those dogs with a spay or neuter contract.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Age : 39
Localisation : Ohio
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 am

ericschevy wrote:
People say that if your not going to show or work it why do you need a purebread with a ped, get one from a shelter...

Most people say that because there are so many APBTs in shelters being pts, and they feel if you just want a house pet then save one from a shelter instead of getting one from a breeder.
Lots of other breed inthusiests will say adopt from a shelter, but i think it happens more withe the APBT since it going in such a bad direction.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Age : 38
Localisation : Oshawa Ontario
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 am

I would understand that in away.... But i would want a dog with solid lines.... And i would want a pup to grow with my kids...
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Age : 40
Localisation : MI.
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 am

I just don't understand why it so bad to want a purebreed couch potato.
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Age : 37
Localisation : Virgnia
Registration date : 2006-11-17

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: ok   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 6:19 am

I understand and can actually see all points of view from this disscussion..

I understand the point of view from the breeders that put thier time and money and hard work in to making a wonderful show dog with great confirmation and everything, I can understand why they can get upset when someone purchases a dog from them and turns the dog into a PETBULL, I mean its ike all thier time and money and hard work was for nothing, and that particular dog will never be shown and make the sire or dam's Produced dogs look any better, its always nice to be able to say that you produce champions, and if the people that you are selling to dont show then that won't happen..

BUT....

I can also see the point of view from the people that are purchasing the puppy... I mean they can go anywhere and purchase a pup, or even go to the shelter and rescue one, BUT .... Buying from any joeshmoe "Kennel" or rescuing the dog from the shelter does not garuntee, the health, tempermant, eyes, hips, of the dog... And when they go to a reputable breeder, they see that alot of money is invested in the dogs and they all come garunteed, in health and genetic defects, and so they are thinking even though it is a little more expensive right now, it probably will be cheaper in the long run...and they dont have to be worried about the heartache of loosing a pup to a illness not detected by the rescue or the BYB that sold the dog to them....Just because they want to have the dog as a pet, doesnt mean that they should have to worry about gentic disorders, hip/knee problems and tempermant that can sometimes not show unitl they are older, even if the rescue did tempermant tests..

so like I said , I can put myslef in both positions, and find pros, and cons from both aspects...
I do feel that if you are not going to participate in weightpull, or show or don't have a reputable Kennel that the dog (whether it be Show or) rescue be spayed or neutered....
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Age : 40
Localisation : MI.
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 am

I agree with that..
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Age : 38
Localisation : Oshawa Ontario
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 7:21 am

trejos kennels wrote:
I understand and can actually see all points of view from this disscussion..

I understand the point of view from the breeders that put thier time and money and hard work in to making a wonderful show dog with great confirmation and everything, I can understand why they can get upset when someone purchases a dog from them and turns the dog into a PETBULL, I mean its ike all thier time and money and hard work was for nothing, and that particular dog will never be shown and make the sire or dam's Produced dogs look any better, its always nice to be able to say that you produce champions, and if the people that you are selling to dont show then that won't happen..

BUT....

I can also see the point of view from the people that are purchasing the puppy... I mean they can go anywhere and purchase a pup, or even go to the shelter and rescue one, BUT .... Buying from any joeshmoe "Kennel" or rescuing the dog from the shelter does not garuntee, the health, tempermant, eyes, hips, of the dog... And when they go to a reputable breeder, they see that alot of money is invested in the dogs and they all come garunteed, in health and genetic defects, and so they are thinking even though it is a little more expensive right now, it probably will be cheaper in the long run...and they dont have to be worried about the heartache of loosing a pup to a illness not detected by the rescue or the BYB that sold the dog to them....Just because they want to have the dog as a pet, doesnt mean that they should have to worry about gentic disorders, hip/knee problems and tempermant that can sometimes not show unitl they are older, even if the rescue did tempermant tests..

so like I said , I can put myslef in both positions, and find pros, and cons from both aspects...
I do feel that if you are not going to participate in weightpull, or show or don't have a reputable Kennel that the dog (whether it be Show or) rescue be spayed or neutered....


Well said..... flower
Back to top Go down
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 7:35 am

There is nothing wrong with wanting a pure bred pet! For one you don't have to worry about what's in the background or if there are genetic issues etc. The only problem is like it was stated folks put a lot into show quality pups and want to make sure they are shown so that the lines carry on as meant to but again as Chelle said there is no litter that has all show quality pups so I do sell pets. I have one in NY, a ton here in IN but the rest have gone to show homes and if someone takes a pup on show agreement they !!!!! well better show it! Other wise coming to take my pup back which is part of my contract!
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Age : 40
Localisation : MI.
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 10:24 pm

redsky wrote:
There is nothing wrong with wanting a pure bred pet! For one you don't have to worry about what's in the background or if there are genetic issues etc. The only problem is like it was stated folks put a lot into show quality pups and want to make sure they are shown so that the lines carry on as meant to but again as Chelle said there is no litter that has all show quality pups so I do sell pets. I have one in NY, a ton here in IN but the rest have gone to show homes and if someone takes a pup on show agreement they !!!!! well better show it! Other wise coming to take my pup back which is part of my contract!

[quote="redsky"]There is nothing wrong with wanting a pure bred pet! For one you don't have to worry about what's in the background or if there are genetic issues etc.

That's exactly why I would want a pure bred pet, I want to know that its pure for one, second It would be nice to know that hes correct and healthy genetic wise. I don't understand why people don't get that....
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 2:43 am

The thing is that pups that have no faults people want to be shown. Now what one of my breeder friends does is place pups with people if they don't want to show them theirselves she will go and pick the pup/dog up and do it herself bring the pup/dog back home when the show is over. Same with breeding, she goes and picks up the female/male breeds em takes him home when it's close to deliver picks back up keeps them till the pups drop and once they are weaned female goes home. I would do that with someone.

But to just give a show quality pup up that is just awesome to a pet home I don't know if i could go along wiht that one unless i just couldn't keep said dog or if I kept anohter from the litter and it's really no big deal. Finding them all good homes is number one and if i can't keep said dog myself or if i kept back one like Kikie I wouldn't worry so much but you just dont' wanna risk losing out on your best pup sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 6:12 am

Personally I have NO PROBLEM with someone purchasing a pup from us and just using it as a pet. All our dogs have great dispositions. In our contract it does state that you have to declare your intentions when purchasing the pup and IF IT IS FOR A PET IT MUST BE NUETERED and proof given to us within 6 months of purchase.

_________________
Ownership = Responsibility

www.Oldfortkennels.com
Back to top Go down
http://thepitboss.editboard.com
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 6:20 am

Oldfort wrote:
Personally I have NO PROBLEM with someone purchasing a pup from us and just using it as a pet. All our dogs have great dispositions. In our contract it does state that you have to declare your intentions when purchasing the pup and IF IT IS FOR A PET IT MUST BE NUETERED and proof given to us within 6 months of purchase.

Your more so into working dogs then show dogs to Andy. When i was breeding just for the working aspect I had the same view but looking at things from a show point of view my opinion differs. All in all I expect them to be bound by what ever they agree to in the contract. Now if I knowingly place a show pup in a pet home then cool. Again the most important thing is for all pups to get great homes! I won't sell a pup to a home that is any less than that!
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 6:27 am

I guess part of the logic behind my current reasoning is that right now Im not breeding for any other purpose than for myself. The WHOLE reason we bred Rebel and Gracie is because I WANTED a pup, or two, out of these two and I want to work them and see what they produce.

_________________
Ownership = Responsibility

www.Oldfortkennels.com
Back to top Go down
http://thepitboss.editboard.com
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 am

Oldfort wrote:
I guess part of the logic behind my current reasoning is that right now Im not breeding for any other purpose than for myself. The WHOLE reason we bred Rebel and Gracie is because I WANTED a pup, or two, out of these two and I want to work them and see what they produce.

Same as myself. I AM DOING THIS ALL FOR ME. Which is why if I elect not to let a pup go as a pet I won't. That pup could very well turn out to be my best bred by pup and in that event I want lines back off of it. I have never ever had a litter that was done with the intent of me not keeping a pup!! I have always kept one or two of my pups back so when i breed it's to produce what I WANT as well. I don't breed for the public etc. We all have our reasons and mine is a super dog now what if one of my possible superdogs is altered?? I will sell a pup with several faults as a pet (that's why they are considered pets most times!) I have also sold fault less pups as pets but it was due to some thought and reasoning.
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Age : 40
Localisation : MI.
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 8:30 am

I'm glad to see that you breeders are not close minded about this, more often than not people see this as a open and shut case... cheers
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Judy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Judy

Number of posts : 202
Localisation : MA
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am

Oldfort wrote:
Personally I have NO PROBLEM with someone purchasing a pup from us and just using it as a pet. All our dogs have great dispositions. In our contract it does state that you have to declare your intentions when purchasing the pup and IF IT IS FOR A PET IT MUST BE NUETERED and proof given to us within 6 months of purchase.

That's great that you guys do that, v. responsible. Kudos to you guys!
Back to top Go down
redsky
Guest



Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 5:28 am

I guess in that same note what's wrong with just owning pets as a breeder? I dont' currently have any myself but have no problem with having them. After i retire sierra she will stay here forever!
Back to top Go down
bullybabe
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup


Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-01-08

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 11:17 am

I don't get it either... there was an arguement on another fourm...but I won't bring it here.... I love my purebred couch potato!!! I take care of him, feed him, love him..so it shouldn't matter.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Age : 38
Localisation : Oshawa Ontario
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 11:23 am

Ya me too..... I know with Pantera, i wont show her all the time, Like maybe twice a year.... I dont have a way to get anywhere... If i did, then oh yea, i would....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Honest Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honest Question.   Honest Question. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Honest Question.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» strawberry question
» A question about dimensions
» new to gardening...simple question about planting
» worm casting question
» Climbing Flower question

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pit Boss :: GENERAL TOPICS :: Pit Tales-
Jump to: