The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

easy question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
misunderstood
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
misunderstood

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-05-10

easy question Empty
PostSubject: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 9:59 pm

ok well its not a pit bull question but a dog question and i only go on pit bull sites so i decided to post it on here ok well my dog sadie (little dog) shes a corgi sheltie mx we think but neway she barks at nething and everything its more like screeching but we cant take her to training classesw cause shhe was never socialized in her first home and isscared to death of people long story but neway we yell at her we use squirt bottels and loud noises but it only stops her until she starts again shes a fear biter so i cant get near her and yell in her face mostly shes nuts haha so any ideas i mean shes a sweet dog wen she wants to be and shes only 2 we got her a year ago and ive atleast been doing the best i can to help her so ne ideas on wat to do with my monster??

Jaye
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 10:12 pm

First off I would stop yelling at her. This could be making it worse. Try using a calm voice. I would take her to the mall and let her see other people it isa good way to start socializing with out her actually having to have people close to her. We have worked with many abused dogs how long have you had her?
Back to top Go down
misunderstood
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
misunderstood

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 5:52 am

i try being nice with her before i yell but she doesnt like to listen and i be sure to remember shes family and treat her how i want to be treated. ive been taking her for walks for the past few months cause i new she needs it i live in a busy area so i take her to playgrounds and she spazzes by running in circles haha now she lets me pick her up sumtimes and put her in another persons arms but a few days ago i had her out front cause i wanted to see how she would act and she was fine til a little gurl walked by sadie ran and barked and snarlred and grawled and scared the gurl half to death caught her finnally wen i yelled for the hundreth time for the gurl to stop running i calmed her down and said sry to the gurl and walked sadie and the gurl bac home. hat freaked me out and showed me that she must be pretty stupid if she goes towards a person to show that shes tough im deffinately keeepingt her onb a leash from now on i felt stupid for not haveing one on her before. public places like the mall dont allow dogs cause people are a's haha ive had her almost a year i think i mean ive had terribly abused dogz but never one like her she shows no warning wen she goes to bite and shes starting to attack my alpha dog i just am dumbfounded wow big word haha o yeah shes not doing this constantly sry if i made it sound like she was rabid haha she is a sweet little gurl i mean this could be sumthin that was bred into her but i dunno thanks for posting Smile
Back to top Go down
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-02-04

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 11:23 am

to some dogs yelling is just barking with them.. which is why it is not usually the best way to make them stop.
diverting her attention might be best.
But lets start afresh. you say she is a sheltie/corgi? you think? do you have a picture of her so i could better tell what mix?
also if she has even a slight drop of sheltie blood in her then you're stuck with this personality. she's not only a herding dog, but she is a protective dog, she is naturally suspicious of strangers so dont put her in the arms of strange people again. that is like expecting a bulldog to not react if he is threatened by another dog.
When a sheltie goes after someone like yours did she is trying to chase away the new strange threat. my sheltie would do this and had a particular dislike for children above all else. she was also a barker and a howler. she was very vocal in all situations. the only way i managed to keep it under slight control was that i got her as a puppy and treated her the same way a wolf treats a puppy or other pack members.
shepherds of any kind have a good firm hold on their wolfish instincts and they thrive with that sort of teaching method. Maggie, my sheltie, could be control with eye contact and tone of voice, not to mention if i pointed at her she would stop dead in her tracks and turn the other way in a hurry. didnt matter what she was doing, just walking too close to a place i didnt think she needed to be, or eating. if she was eating something and i did the "look" and pointed or lowered my voice - food came out of her mouth and she would back up like "Whoa, sorry boss" she would drop prime rib if i did that.
again she was trained this way as a puppy.

for your dog i would suggest diverting her attention when she starts to do something stupid. you may have seen the dog whisperer do it before, but i trained all of my dogs in his methods BEFORE he was famous. it works.
When she begins barking at someone step in front of her and give her a nudge with your knee and try to make her back up. essentially you're herding her... and you want to block her view totally. generally the dog will stop barking and look up at you like "WTF? i'm sorry i'm sorry! lay off, what the crap!" then try a sit or down command.

i also agree with Mikado.... take her out into a public place with lots of people but dont let them touch or approach her.
she may never accept strangers petting her, but that doesnt mean she is crazy or a bad dog. it just means she's a shepherd and they arent supposed to allow that sort of thing from a stranger. again, think wolf pack. when two strange wolf packs meet they dont automatically start frolicking and accepting one another. they are standoffish, then sniffy, then they do their dominance display. same thing with dogs and especially herding dogs. unless you're about to marry this person, adopt them, or some how live with them for a long period of time she doesnt have to accept them touching her. they arent family and are therefore unworthy of her love and affection.
Back to top Go down
misunderstood
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
misunderstood

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm

intresting thanks i watch the dog whisperer every chance i get and sum of his technics work but most dont work with her they work with my others though lol heres 2 pics sorry if they r big and if im way off with her breed sorry im not good at lil dog breeds. and she does have the bark of a sheltie
easy question Picture030

easy question Picture031
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 am

Well Sadie looks like a long haired dachshund mix. I think Sadie needs a job because she is a working dog wither a sheltie mix or a dachshund mix. I would continue to take her for walks and expose slowly to new things try tostop yelling and remain calm when dealing woth her.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 5:53 am

This dog is definately a shepard mix. But again, just like the sheltie, dumbdog has the right techniques in mind. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-02-04

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:15 am

she looks like someone took German Shepherd parts and Sheltie parts, put them in one bag and shook them up lol
she's cute though, and i see a LOT of sheltie in her. i lived with a sheltie mix for over five years (my mom's dog) her mom was pure bred sheltie and her dad was a collie. Maggie turned out kinda odd and we always joked that her mom had an affair with a coyote or wolf on the side because she strange... she howled like a wolf for different reasons. when we got home, when she ate dinner and then the strangest of all... 3am for no reason.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31290284/?qo=9&q=by%3Abluecoyote&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29298967/?qo=57&q=by%3Abluecoyote&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28252434/?qo=78&q=by%3Abluecoyote&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps
Back to top Go down
misunderstood
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
misunderstood

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm

i havent heard dachshund mix for a guess before but true she needs a job ive been working on finding her a job. shepherd mix was our biggest thought i used to say she was a german shepherd that went threw the wash and shrunk Very Happy thanks guys Smile i will try my best and i stopped yelling at her and used a softer voice and it didnt work so now im malking loud noises or i throw bottles against the wall that she is closest to (without hitting her)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

easy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: easy question   easy question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

easy question
Page 1 of 1