The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feeding time?

Go down 
+6
bgblok68
geisthexe
Oldfort
sw_df27
Mikado&Chalice
buzhunter
10 posters
AuthorMessage
buzhunter
Admin
buzhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 pm

So when is the best time to feed? Is there a best time to maximize efficient digestion? Is there a bad time to feed?
Back to top Go down
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:13 pm

I guess I have never thought about it. i have always fed my dogs first thing in the morning. They all go out and then I get everyones food ready.

My mom alwayed tried to save some $$$ so she woud cook them rice and hamburger and then add veggies to it. So I have done the same thing sometimes I don't feel like making the stuff so they get just kibble.

Even when I have a pup around it never eats its last meal of the day after 4:30pm.
Back to top Go down
sw_df27
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
sw_df27

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:47 pm

I don't know my dogs eat twice a day once when they first go out then again when I get home from work at about 4
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 1:51 am

We feed at night usually but when it comes time for a show we feed early mornings for a week or two ahead of the show!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
geisthexe
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
geisthexe

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:46 pm

I feed between 5 & 7 am and 6 & 8 pm .. I dont believe there is a best time as it needs to fit your schedule. But I believe there should be a difference in time so the dogs do not become a costume to an exact time .. since life does not run on exact timing. it would be nice

When it comes to shows or sporting events. I change the amount I feed so my dogs do not get sick due to stress.
Back to top Go down
bgblok68
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-01-04

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm

I agree with geisthexe.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
Admin
buzhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks for the input, everyone. My vet says that he used to have a beagle who had to be fed before hunting or he would have seizures. Has anyone else heard of a dog like that? Good to see you , Deb.
Back to top Go down
geisthexe
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
geisthexe

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:57 am

buzhunter wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. My vet says that he used to have a beagle who had to be fed before hunting or he would have seizures. Has anyone else heard of a dog like that? Good to see you , Deb.

Hey Buz

Yes, many dogs that have problems like seizures, diabetes etc must be fed prior to doing things. I had a rescue do that had to eat or she threw up, vets could not tell me why.
I feed my dogs prior to showing or events like I said I just feed my dogs a smaller amount due to stress. Like Pepper (staffie bull) if I do not feed him prior to show or events he is hyper and anoying. I love him dearly but I find a much happier stable dog with feeding.

Deb
Back to top Go down
shadowgames
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 5:54 am

Good rule of thumb, if you plan to excercise DON'T feed your dog for atleast 4 hours before at least, IMO. Best rule of thumb feed them a hour after a workout is good. Far as time, your choice. I feed in the morning about 6 am and then again about 8-9pm depending on the drive home. I use to feed only once a day, and it isn't a enough IMO so I feed twice and split the feedings. It works great for them! Pups I feed four times a day, though until 12 weeks then I go twice a day. Feeding them close after a workout can kill your dog, serious.
Back to top Go down
redsky
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
redsky

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-28

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 4:34 am

I feed first thing in the am as well between 5-7 am but on days of shows I don't feed till we get back from the show. I feed pups up to three times a day but my adults eat once a day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redskypitbulls.net
rong520
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 6:59 am

Forum good, you look at the top

Microsoft Office 2010 pro
Back to top Go down
kun21
Ankle Biter
Ankle Biter

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-03-18

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:43 am

Well said! Tomorrow I have to write a!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeding time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding time?   Feeding time? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding time?
Page 1 of 1