The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should I let him correct her?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Should I let him correct her? Empty
PostSubject: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am

Okay this may seem like a stupid question...

Should I let Legend correct Gemyni?

I let Tasha do this with Legend as a pup. 1 because she's motherly about it and 2 because Legend was a confident pup and 3 because Tasha would correct him before I could even react! lol

I've never had a submissive puppy before. She does know the word No. But sometimes she gets near Legend's food bowl when its in his crate and he's in there locked in. He doesnt like dogs near his crate whenever he's eating in there. But when he's out has no problems with food,bones, etc and other dogs are around.

Gemyni gets very antsy in the morning when I feed. Legend gets feed first. And she goes near his crate I do tell her No. But she insisted she get close while he was eating inside. So I let him tell her to back off with a growl and she backed off. But whe I give her a firm No she acts like I'm about to kill her. It makes me feel bad...
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 4:09 am

I think you should... You know the dogs personality, if you think that he would really hurt her, Then i would say no.. But if he would just growl at her and maybe bark at her, i would say go for it... Harley does it with Pantera and she still dont listen, sometimes she will, but mostly no... I heard that its a good thing to allow it, just cus they think that they are in a pack anyway.. farao drunken
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 6:58 am

He growls at her...Sometimes slaps her with his paw! lol..But not to hurt her.
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 8:00 am

Just be careful that it never escalates.
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 9:13 am

That's what I'm scared about. 100% of the time he gives her a growl and she backs off! She knows he's Alpha of the dogs and me as the leader. But everytime I tell her No she doesnt react the same way as when Legend gives her a growl. She makes it seem like I'm gonna hurt her. I hope she grows out of it.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 1:13 am

I really dont think that he would hurt her, Do they play together and sleep together?? Sometimes they need to know whos boss...I know Pantera pushes her limits with me, and i have to stand up, and tell her off in a loud voice... She is a dominate dog, she does it to Harley all the time.. she humps him too.. Which is a laugh and a half..But still I dont let her do that to him..But as for your dogs, Like OFK said, dont let it get bad.. You will know when and if it will start too...
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 1:46 am

Pantera2006 wrote:
I really dont think that he would hurt her, Do they play together and sleep together??

Yup their crates are right next to each other. Even when Legend's out and Gemyni's in hers he plays with her through the crate or curls up right next to her crate. And since Legend now doesnt sleep in his crate. In the morning he runs in where their crates are and into his and they play with eachother. lol. I can hear them all the way upstairs! lol
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 6:32 am

Well thats a positive thing then.... Harley and Pantera play, but he dont let her get her way ALL of the time!!
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 7:04 am

LOL. Yeah...They are both snoring sleep on Legend's dog bed! lol..I gotta get them up soon b/c they gotta eat and go out for a quick walk.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 7:26 am

awesome!!! i love the eye on the pup!!!! simply awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 7:34 am

Thats the one thing that makes her cute besides her ears! lol
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2006 6:06 am

Personally I wouldn't let the correction take place, instead you should correct her. Eventually she might get tired of it, one when she grows up, she may act defensively against food. Food aggression isn't a good thing with pups or adult dogs. I would take her completely out of site when he is eating and always make sure they are fed seperately. JMO

Good luck
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2006 8:05 am

schismatickennels wrote:
Personally I wouldn't let the correction take place, instead you should correct her. Eventually she might get tired of it, one when she grows up, she may act defensively against food. Food aggression isn't a good thing with pups or adult dogs. I would take her completely out of site when he is eating and always make sure they are fed seperately. JMO

Good luck

I feed them both in there own crates. He doesnt mind her being near him with bones, toys etc around. Only when he's locked in his crate and his food is in there with him(If the door to his crate is open he's fine with her walking around). I do correct Gemyni. She urinates and runs and hides if you tell her No in a firm voice or raise your voice above normal. She was beaten/spanked into submission before I got her. She is now 12 weeks. I got her at 10 weeks old. She doesnt seem to understand that what she's doing is not okay when I correct her but if he corrects her she backs off. How should I correct her?
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2006 6:43 pm

I would simply feed them at the same time that way when he is eating she is to and there is no need for her to walk around his kennel. I don't tolerate food aggression at all rather it be while they are in kennels or walking around just because I have had accidents here that I never seen coming and it was over food to begin with now I have two bitches that die hard hate each other! You don't want that so just keep them totally out of each others reach when eating that way you don't have to go through what I have gone through. I don't kennel feed my adults I separate them though. One may eat in the basement the other up stairs or on the front porch. My dogs were actually at it over a dang bone so now when I pass out treats I am mindful of what everyone is doing because I do have one that thinks she can take everyone's treats so sometimes I have to put her up or give her extra which still isn't fair to the others. Michelle if your wondering whose the greedy bugger it's Sierra lol.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2006 1:20 pm

I dont know, I think i would let him do it... Just cuz i watch Harley and Pantera, and if i do it, she will stop, only if i say so, So if im not around, then he has to be the one to put her in her place... Harley and Pantera are stubborn when it comes to their masters, and they really only listen to me... So i think to a point, let him do it..
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 pm

Pantera2006 wrote:
I dont know, I think i would let him do it... Just cuz i watch Harley and Pantera, and if i do it, she will stop, only if i say so, So if im not around, then he has to be the one to put her in her place... Harley and Pantera are stubborn when it comes to their masters, and they really only listen to me... So i think to a point, let him do it..

Personally I think if you have two that have issues like that when your not arround they should not be left together! You could come home to one ugly sight. Pits have a tendency to contest one another I have two that will fight till they can't if they aren't kept apart so sometimes allowing one to correct the other is not the answer. I am the alpha of my yard and do all the correcting and place setting. Now if I have one that is not staying in it's place then me and the one I set as being the higher up will put that one in it's place. I will hold one in a submissive position and let the other express dominance (but if one will not be submissive you can't do this)! Letting one pit correct another is an accident waiting to happen IMPO.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 am

Ya but she is a puppy, she really dont know when to stop... Pantera is a dominating dog.. Harley puts up with it alot, but i mean that he can only take so much.. My dog is not a mean dog, but like i said, he can only take so much.. I have never had a problem with him, and he has never been really mean to another dog.. I get fed up with her... The way i see it, you do with your dogs as you feel comfortable... I know Harley the best and know what his limits are and i do feel really safe with him, He is the only animal that i will leave with my kids.. I think that he is a one and a million dog, and i have seen him in the worst of times.... He puts up with my kids more then anyone!!!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Pantera2006 wrote:
Ya but she is a puppy, she really dont know when to stop... Pantera is a dominating dog.. Harley puts up with it alot, but i mean that he can only take so much.. My dog is not a mean dog, but like i said, he can only take so much.. I have never had a problem with him, and he has never been really mean to another dog.. I get fed up with her... The way i see it, you do with your dogs as you feel comfortable... I know Harley the best and know what his limits are and i do feel really safe with him, He is the only animal that i will leave with my kids.. I think that he is a one and a million dog, and i have seen him in the worst of times.... He puts up with my kids more then anyone!!!

I understand what you are saying totally but them excepting the kids getting on their nerve is alot different then excepting another dog doing it. I believe you do know your dog better then anyone but I have had dogs that were raised with one another and then go into heat and it's a mess. What I'm saying is okay she's a pup now but what happens when she is having a really bad day when she gets older and decides i'm gonna contest him! It could get really nasty around your house and you definately don't want your kids to ever see it! The best thing I can tell you is even if you let Hemi correct it be there with him to let the pup know he is who you have set as alpha so you won't have any issues down the road. The best thing you can do is to let that pup know you are the actual alpha and make her submissive now rather then hope she will become submissive to him then something happens. Maybe I'm not saying something right lol. I just know from my own past experiences of dogs that have loved each other and grown up together that one bad day can end a life long friendship.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 8:24 pm

I don't have a dog here that has a bad temperment, I wouldn't have it. Sierra and Rayne hate each other but they are not like that toward other dogs, kids, puppies or anything else. Rayne was raised around kids, dogs and even small dogs including minpins and poms. Sierra was raised with cats, puppies, other dogs etc. so they are not just aggressive dogs at all. Here are a few pics to show you what i mean:

Here is Sierra and Rayne before they all hit heat at the same time (three females all went into heat a few days apart).
Should I let him correct her? Andsheishere024

Sierra and her breeders kitty
Should I let him correct her? Sierradexie1

Another pic of the two of them together
Should I let him correct her? MayTriton014

Couldn't find the pics of Rayne with my minpin I had or my sister's pom. I did some disk cleaning up awhile back so they may have been deleted Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 11:08 pm

Wow I bet you had your hands full then!!!

Dogs look great, Not sure about the cat tongue
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 12:16 am

Oldfort wrote:
Wow I bet you had your hands full then!!!

Dogs look great, Not sure about the cat tongue

Yep it was a hot mess!!!
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2006 12:23 am

Not to long ago, I thought my Savanna was above and beyond the fighting and aggression. We had her in the house with 2 other adult pits, 3 pups, and a min pin. Plus 4 children. My adults weren't ever crated except at night.

Oh about 4 months ago, my female Zoe went into heat, and we had a backyard accident, guess the instigator? Savanna. I think you are very right Christie. YOU have to the alpha in the home, and know the boundaries to take with your dogs. Just because you know a dog, doesn't always mean you're going to know their every mood at every moment. What didn't bother them the day before, could bother them the next day, and you could have total chaotic disaster.

I love that you have faith in your dogs, but being cautious never hurt anyone. Better safe than sorry. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 am

Ya i see what you are saying...harley is 5 and a half and i have never had one problem with him.. He is a great dog, I do have total trust in him, I know when he gets mad... But Pantera on the other hand............... Whole different story..... I know what you mean Skennels about the agression thing, Pantera and harley got into it yesterday, The instagater, Pantera... I found her with her Jawas around Harleys neck, and Harley couldnt breathe!!! I know if that Happens again, she will be the one to go.. I dont put up with that myself!!! so she better stop!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 3:14 am

Pantera2006 wrote:
Ya i see what you are saying...harley is 5 and a half and i have never had one problem with him.. He is a great dog, I do have total trust in him, I know when he gets mad... But Pantera on the other hand............... Whole different story..... I know what you mean Skennels about the agression thing, Pantera and harley got into it yesterday, The instagater, Pantera... I found her with her Jawas around Harleys neck, and Harley couldnt breathe!!! I know if that Happens again, she will be the one to go.. I dont put up with that myself!!! so she better stop!!! Evil or Very Mad

I don't think the answer is getting rid of the dog that is the aggressor honestly, its probably a jealousy issue. Christie has some really good ways to help with establishing dominance between two dogs, and I think it would work for you, especially since she's a pup. Kennel life is essential even though we don't want to think it is for our beloveds. I'm glad you've never had a problem there is always one instigator in the bunch though, just like with children.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 3:20 am

Pantera2006 wrote:

I would have beat her butt and I mean beat it! I am all for positive training but we have one of those breeds where when push comes to shove you have to let them know you are the extreme alpha no ifs ands or buts about it! I would have grabbed her beat her butt right there in front of him and held her to the groud to let her know you are not above him and you are not to challenge him. If you don't make her understand while she is still a pup there will be problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I let him correct her?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pit Boss :: GENERAL TOPICS :: Q&A-
Jump to: