The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should I let him correct her?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 3:49 am

How do you correct a submissive pup though? Legend all I have to do with him is glance him a look or say "eh!" or snap my fingers and point at him from across the room and he stops doing whatever I dont want him to do. But with Gemyni she acts as though I'm gonna kill her or something if I tell her no. I don't wanna contribute to her acting that way. But I just don't know how to make her realize I'm not gonna hurt her. She's going to ob class and puppy socialization(she's fine w/ other dogs outside and engages in play) once she's done with her shots. To see if that helps boost her confidence some. I'm open for suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 8:00 am

Well i usually do that with my dogs, like snap and the know(my fingers) that is, but she just will not leave Harley alone!!! Its constant, shes doin it now.... But i think she does it to make him mad?? I dont know.. I know that Harley would tear her a new one, and im shocked that he hasnt.. Thats what i mean about trust, he could tear her apart and he dont.. he puts up with it, BUT... He wont for long... Harley is my buddy, i love that dog with all my being, and i dont wanna have to get rid of her, but, what if he does get his limits pushed and on of my kids get hurt, cuz hes mad at her?? I thought about what you all have said and it makes sence... But if i had to choose a dog, Harley would stay... Everyone loves Harley, and i have harley since i was 19, he was with me through alot of tramatic stuff, losing a baby, fights with my man, stress and other things... Ramble ramble ramble... sorry guys... I have turned around and gave Pantera crap and she has growled at me!!! I was so mad.... But when i stood up, she cowerd and knew that i was pissed.. I smacked her buttt for that!! i was really mad!!! I think Pantera is really dominate...
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 am

LegendsMami wrote:
How do you correct a submissive pup though? Legend all I have to do with him is glance him a look or say "eh!" or snap my fingers and point at him from across the room and he stops doing whatever I dont want him to do. But with Gemyni she acts as though I'm gonna kill her or something if I tell her no. I don't wanna contribute to her acting that way. But I just don't know how to make her realize I'm not gonna hurt her. She's going to ob class and puppy socialization(she's fine w/ other dogs outside and engages in play) once she's done with her shots. To see if that helps boost her confidence some. I'm open for suggestions?

I would suggest just doing a lot of cuddling and loving on the dog. Sola had been a bit neglected when we first got her and she would do the same thing, pee all over if she thought she was in trouble. Sometimes the best thing with a submissive dog is to just let them have their space but when doing something wrong correct the behavior as norm, rather it be to say a loud no or shack your finger or whatever you do lol. Not correcting it as norm would only make the other dog want to try you.
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 8:23 am

Honestly my females have always been the dominant ones at my house. Midas is proven this different and I'm actually letting him. None of the girls have an issue with him being the dominate one either so that is another reason why I am allowing it.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2006 8:50 am

redsky wrote:
LegendsMami wrote:

I would suggest just doing a lot of cuddling and loving on the dog. Sola had been a bit neglected when we first got her and she would do the same thing, pee all over if she thought she was in trouble. Sometimes the best thing with a submissive dog is to just let them have their space but when doing something wrong correct the behavior as norm, rather it be to say a loud no or shack your finger or whatever you do lol. Not correcting it as norm would only make the other dog want to try you.

I will definitely try some more cuddling(They get alot as it is..Lol.) And I will correct her as I normally would Legend which is like the Cesear Millian technique! lol Yes it actually works. lol. Thats why now all I have to do is shoot him a look and whatever he's not suppose to be doing he stops and comes right to me. lol
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Can you believe this...LOL   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2006 6:50 am

I took them to the park earlier to run around since it was a nice day and we also practiced sit stay down etc incorporated into playtime. . And Gemyni has really really came out of her shell. I don't know what happen that today she decided to really shine but she did. And I'm so glad!! sunny So after a few hours brought them home and fed them outside of there crates. NO PROBLEMS at all! I think she may have gotten the hint not to go near Legend's bowl. And he's used to eating around other dogs and cats. so it doesnt bother him to be close while eating. Except while eating inside with the door shut in his crate and she's sticking her little nose up to smell his food. They have been being extremely loud goofing off for a couple of hours now. lol. Their crates are right next to each other. Both of them have stuffed bones I'm trying to get them to settle down b/c I know the minute I let them out they'll both have the zoomies! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I let him correct her?   Should I let him correct her? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I let him correct her?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pit Boss :: GENERAL TOPICS :: Q&A-
Jump to: