The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Welping questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2006-12-22

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm

So! I do thank redsky for giving me the welping list. But I still have some questions!

How do I go about using the hemostat and where can I find one?

The KY Jelly, is that for Brittle's twat to make sure the puppies come out easier?

What's the shampoo for? To wash the puppies ro to wash Brittle after she's done.

What is the dental floss for?

Where can I find Umbelical chord sissors? How close do I cut the umbelical chord?

Zip lock bags.... for what?

Now I give Brittle the dark beer. How much? the whole can or a table spoon?

I'm assuming the bedidine and the gause and stuff like that is to clean the puppies and to help the bleeding stop.

For the bulb saringe, that is for clearing the nose passageway right?
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 11:17 pm

How do I go about using the hemostat and where can I find one?
hemostats are for clamping the umbilical cord, you should be able to get them at pet supply stores but I'm not sure honestly.

The KY Jelly, is that for Brittle's twat to make sure the puppies come out easier?
yep that's what the ky is for also you can try vitamin e oil.

What's the shampoo for? To wash the puppies ro to wash Brittle after she's done.
I've never used shampoo, only a wet cloth to wipe off the pups, and her. If it was dry, I use a lil bit of dish detergant.

What is the dental floss for?
have no clue.

Where can I find Umbelical chord sissors? How close do I cut the umbelical chord?
I use regular hair cutting scissors. cut the umbilical cord about an inch to 2 inches whichever you feel comfortable with then spot with alcohol or iodine.

Zip lock bags.... for what?
for afterbirth or possible dead fetus.

Now I give Brittle the dark beer. How much? the whole can or a table spoon?
dunno with the dark beer.

I'm assuming the bedidine and the gause and stuff like that is to clean the puppies and to help the bleeding stop.
yep exactly right.

For the bulb saringe, that is for clearing the nose passageway right?
yep and becareful doing this, don't suck to hard, use slow suctions, in the nasal area and the mouth, do not stick the bulb to far down puppies throat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: well   Welping questions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Well Chelle or Jerry (dont know which it was lol) pretty much answered everything for you.. but Dental floss, alot of people will use the dental floss to tie the end of the umbilical cord after it has been cut, but I just use thread that has been soaked in alcohol..
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 12:48 am

thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: your welcome   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 1:45 am

your welcome anytime I can help with anything I will...
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 am

Hahahah You know how many pups i have welped... 4 litters... 2 of my own, and 2 of other peoples... my one friend was so dumb, she had nothing for the deliveries... I was so mad, i had to bring my own stuff... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 2:44 am

trejos kennels wrote:
Well Chelle or Jerry (dont know which it was lol) pretty much answered everything for you.. but Dental floss, alot of people will use the dental floss to tie the end of the umbilical cord after it has been cut, but I just use thread that has been soaked in alcohol..

lol unless it says Jer at the end, its me....

I'd never heard of tieing off the cord with dental floss or string. Mine never bleed after I cut them and put the alcohol on them.
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: well   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 4:51 am

the reason that I tie them off is becasue in everything I have ever read nad also at advice of my vet, he always says to cut then about right under ainch long, and they bleed pretty bad when cut that short, so It is better to tie them off and then cut, the reason that he says it is better to cut them short is beacsue leaving them long as the puppy moves about it can get caught on something or stepped on by other litter mates and may be pulled out and cause excessive bleeding most often resulting in death..
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 5:01 am

So very true, but the mother can also rip the cord from the pup causing the pup to have a severe umbilical hernia. I dunno I'm just not a big fan of cutting the cord so close that it causes a lot of free bleeding. I cut the cord about an inch to an inch and half, and I've not had any problems.

Course I'm sure your method you haven't either. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: yep   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 6:00 am

no I havent had any problems as of yet..thank god....LOL I guess both ways work and may ust be a personal preference... either way there can be dangers ...
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 9:09 am

So! earlier today I went shopping for a welping box. My mom and found this 5x5 under the bed drawer. It has high sides and one lower side (low enough for Brittle to get in and out of) Plus, it comes out witht removeable rollers on the bottom. It's supported really well on the bottom and it's made very well.

We also got a TON of stuff (I spent a lot of money on all the stuff I could find!)

I really do appreciate you guys helping out.
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: sounds   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 am

sounds like you are about ready ..did you ever find someone towrite up that contract for you? also wanted to let you know in case you didnt.. you can take brittle to the vet and get a estimate on how many pups she is having and how big they are by getting a x-ray..didnt know if you knew that already..
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 am

Xelleron wrote:
My mom and found this 5x5 under the bed drawer.

Is it wood? You'll want some thing you can wash out easily with out in soaking in the water.
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 am

MidwestBully wrote:
Xelleron wrote:
My mom and found this 5x5 under the bed drawer.

Is it wood? You'll want some thing you can wash out easily with out in soaking in the water.

It's wood, but it has this layer of this plastic kinda stuff on top of it like a hard layer of plastic kinda thing. Kinda like the fake wood stuff has over it. That's one of the reasons we got it was because it would be easy to clean out and wouldn't soak up anything.

Still working on that contract by the way. With school an all it's been hard for me to work on it. But I will soon.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Here is the puppy contract I will be using. Your welcome to use it for your litter if you like. Its very important that you have one.

http://www.freewebs.com/midwestbully/puppies.htm
Back to top Go down
redsky

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 8:06 pm

trejos kennels wrote:
the reason that I tie them off is becasue in everything I have ever read nad also at advice of my vet, he always says to cut then about right under ainch long, and they bleed pretty bad when cut that short, so It is better to tie them off and then cut, the reason that he says it is better to cut them short is beacsue leaving them long as the puppy moves about it can get caught on something or stepped on by other litter mates and may be pulled out and cause excessive bleeding most often resulting in death..

Most tie off the cord to keep from cutting to short! If you cut it to short not only can they bleed very badly but it will cause a herrnia to!

Last edited by on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Canine Hernia

A hernia is a protrusion or bulge of a part of the body tissue, fat, or an organ through an abnormal opening of the surrounding tissues. There are numerous types of hernias, each type named after its affected area

A hernia which can be pushed back into the abdomen is called reducible. Hernias which are not reducible are called incarcerated. If the blood supply to an incarcerated hernia is pinched off the hernia becomes strangulated. A strangulated hernia is an emergency situation and must be brought to the immediate attention of your veterinarian.
Some of the most common types of hernias are:
Umbilical hernia
An umbilical hernia is the most common type of hernia found in puppies. In the case of umbilical hernias, a portion of fat or internal organs protrudes through an incompletely closed umbilical ring. Umbilical hernias may be present at birth, or may be acquired. The most common means of acquiring an umbilical hernia is as a result of the umbilical cord being severed too close to the abdominal wall.
In most cases umbilical hernias are small and reduce as the puppy grows. Generally, by the time the pup is six months old the umbilical hernia will shrink and disappear on its own. If the pup has a large hernia, or one that can be pushed into the abdomen with a finger, consult your veterinarian regarding possible surgical repair.

Like a Star @ heaven Inguinal hernia
An inguinal hernia is the result of abdominal organs, fat or tissue protruding through the inguinal ring. Inguinal hernias are presented as skin-covered bulges in the groin. They can be bilateral, involving both sides, or unilateral, involving only one side.
Inguinal hernias are more common in females than males, but do occur in both sexes. As with umbilical hernias most inguinal hernias will shrink and disappear as the puppy grows, although you must keep an eye on the size of the hernia(s).
Inguinal hernias can also occur in unspayed, middle-aged female dogs. This may occur as the result of stretching of abdominal tissue due to pregnancy, or atrophy of abdominal tissue and musculature due to advanced age.
Like a Star @ heaven Diaphragmatic hernia
A diaphragmatic hernia is the result of a tear in the diaphragm which allows abdominal organ portions to pass into the chest area. The most common occurrence of a diaphragmatic hernia is following an accident. If the tear is small, there may not be any obvious clinical indications. If the hernia is significant, however, there are indications such as strained respiration, lack of appetite, difficulty swallowing or vomiting. If a large portion of the abdominal organ have passed through the diaphragmatic tear the dog tends to stand with an extremely "tucked up" abdominal area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Welping questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welping questions   Welping questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welping questions
Page 1 of 1