The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Empty
PostSubject: Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch)   Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 am

Canine Eclampsia, also erroneously called "milk fever", is a startling and dangerous condition brought on by extremely low levels of calcium in the blood stream. Also called hypocalcemia and puerperal tetany, I consider these episodes emergencies sA proper meat-based diet is the key consideration in preventing eclampsia.o the patient is admitted as soon as possible.

Most commonly seen in small to mid-sized bitches a few weeks after whelping, this condition should be watched for closely. A typical call to my office goes like this:

"Doctor, my four year-old Schnauzer whelped five puppies two weeks ago. She was fine until today when she started pacing and didn't want to nurse. Now she's worse and panting, shaking all over, and can't even stand up."

The following is a brief outline of what the typical case of Canine Eclampsia looks like:

Signs:
Muscle tremors, restlessness, panting, incoordination, grand mal seizures and fever as high as 106

Causes:
Hypocalcemia (low blood calcium) brought on by the following:

1. Poor Nutrition - "Home brewed" diets usually are at fault. The owner innocently may be adding too much unbalanced meat to the bitch's diet, thinking the extra protein is beneficial. What's really happening is the calcium to phosphorus ratio is out of balance because the amount of useful calcium in the food is actually reduced! The ideal contains a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1.2 to 1. (Many organ meats such as liver have a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1 to 15!! Liver is great for dogs but if it comprises a large part of the diet, the calcium/phosphorus ratio of the diet will be improper.)

2. Low Blood Levels of Albumen - Dietary protein deficiency or excessive loss from the body of albumen, which happens in some kidney diseases, will cause low levels of calcium.

3. Disease of the Parathyroid Glands - This condition is quite rare.

4. Excessive Milk Production - When pups require large amounts of milk (10 to 30 days post whelping) the bitch's ability to maintain proper amounts of calcium in her blood stream becomes stressed. Milk production has priority over the blood stream for calcium!

Treatment:

Quick iv medication is important in treating eclampsia.1. I. V. Catheter for a slow, careful injection of a calcium solution under the close supervision of the veterinarian. Give too much and severe cardiac arrhythmia may occur.

2. I.V. dextrose for quick energy. By this time the bitch will be thoroughly exhausted due to the muscle tremors and a quick supply of energy is very helpful.

3. Mild sedation may be required.

4. Cool bath to lower body temperatures to normal.

NOTE: If there is time, your vet may take a blood sample prior to treatment for a thorough analysis of the bitch's blood chemistry. Quick action is very important and careful administration of medications is required. Generally, the patient stabilizes within ten or fifteen minutes and the temperature is reduced to normal via the cool bath.

Prevention:

1. High quality meat-based quality food but don't over supplement with all sorts of Calcium or unbalanced meat products.

2. Add a balanced source of calcium, phosphorus, and Vitamin D to the bitch's diet beginning about mid-term. The best sources are milk (withdraw if this causes a loose stool) or cottage cheese. DO NOT add calcium alone!! It MUST be used with phosphorus and Vitamin D. (Remember that optimum ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus of 1.2 to 1!)

3. Sometimes cortisone is very helpful in preventing Canine Eclampsia - ask your veterinarian about having some on hand prior to the next whelping.Click to visit the Pet Store... Enjoy!

4. Supplement the puppies' intake with a milk replacer as soon as possible to decrease the milk demands on the bitch.

5. Wean the pups as soon as possible.

Canine Eclampsia... Hypocalcemia... Puerperal tetany... Milk Fever... fancy names for a not-so-fancy disorder. Be on the alert and call your vet if you become suspicious your bitch is having trouble. Never underestimate the importance of a high quality, meat-based diet for your dog.
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

PostSubject: I   Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2007 1:08 am

4. Excessive Milk Production - When pups require large amounts of milk (10 to 30 days post whelping) the bitch's ability to maintain proper amounts of calcium in her blood stream becomes stressed. Milk production has priority over the blood stream for calcium!

I know also first hand about this.. I had a female that now is spayed nad living with my Brother, Produced WAY too much milk one time and only priduced 2 puppies, and contracted this... This can be extremley FATAL if not diagnosed really Quickly and if you dont Hurry to the vet you may loose the female.....This is why now when my females are pregnant other than the obvious of changing thier food to Puppy food, and etc ..I also purchase tubes of calcium that can be given orally to the bitch, I usually give half a tube before and half a tube after birth and I havent had anymore problems..
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch)   Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 am

albino Since there's no thumbs up, I'll just use the bunny ears. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

PostSubject: you   Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2007 1:47 am

you are so silly chelle..thanks for the bunny ears up!!
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch)   Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2007 6:13 am

Good post this has been something happening alot here lately. I know of two breeders that have lost all or most of their pups due to it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch)   Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canie Eclamsia-Milk Fever (anyone with a breeding bitch)
Page 1 of 1