The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

show

Go down 
+2
schismatickennels
wheezie wayne
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

show Empty
PostSubject: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 12:52 am

i was on another forum and came across a thread that was about breeding APBT just for show, what are yalls opinion on breeding APBT's strictly for confirmation?
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 1:02 am

That's exactly what you should look for with your dog in my opinion, drive, temperment and conformation. Its what the show world is all about is breeding for excellent conformation and making that conformation even better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 1:14 am

see when i think of show all i really think of is "pretty". im just thinking that if someone breeds stricly for show wouldnt the traits of an APBT start to become watered down?
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

show Empty
PostSubject: In my opinion....   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 1:24 am

Conformation is REALLY important and should ALWAYS be a part of any program, BUT an APBT is a working breed so IMO temperment and working ability should ALWAYS be apart of it too. These dogs wheren't designed to be "pretty" they where designed to be outstanding athletes with impecable drive and that should be remembered in ANY and ALL breeding programs as well.
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 1:33 am

i agree with you that its important for the breed. i do disagree that it should be a part of anyprogram. if people are breeding for hog dogs i really dont see why they would take into acount any confirmation aspect besides major physical defects.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 3:04 am

wheezie wayne wrote:
i do disagree that it should be a part of anyprogram. if people are breeding for hog dogs i really dont see why they would take into acount any confirmation aspect besides major physical defects.

Correct conformation plays a very important roll in working ability. Proper proportion and build is a necessity when it comes to movement. If the dog can not move effectively it will depreciate his ability to function properly. A well balance and proportioned dog will excell much getter than a disproportioned dog.

Thats what 'standards' are for and why most people prefer the 'game bred' standards like ADBA, AADR etc. Its judges by the bulid and structure of a true working bull&terrier.

Last edited by on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 3:10 am

thats just common sense, but what i was getting at is when that is there only focus in there breeding program and, all the familar charteristics are lost in the quest for the perfect SHOW dog. you all know more than i do, im just want to know evetyones techniques and ideas when it comes to breeding dog strictly for confirmation.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 3:18 am

Oooh..ok. I see what your say'n.

Alot of the imortant attributes of the breed are beeing bred out to get this "pretty" image of a dog.

Is that what your say'n?
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 3:48 am

thats what im wondering? just wondering what others opinions are.
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 4:14 am

Being a show conformation dog is more than just being a pretty face. Conformation is different with UKC than it is ADBA and NKC. UKC is more of the Am Staff look a little bulkier, ADBA and NKC look toward the more traditional APBT, and the features that the dogs once had. When I look at my dogs, and breeding, I look at not only pedigrees, but what my females weakness' are and what my males can bring to the table for them.

http://www.apbtconformation.com/standardcomparison.htm

This is the difference in the UKC standard, and ADBA standards, very good reading if you have the time.

I don't think that conformation is the only thing that is important in breeding, but I do believe it plays a HUGE part in breeding. It is important to have correct conformation no matter what you are doing with your dog, they need stamina, drive, and conformation all in one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 5:11 am

This is the VERY reason in our mission statement for OLDFORTKENNELS we state that our goal is to breed superior athletes WITH CORRECT conformation. I think you have to focus on both or you lose the purity of the breed.

Im not breeding just for weight pulling, if I was I might try using larger dogs but I want competive dogs at the right size. To get the competitive edge that IM looking for we have to keep the drive and heart of the APBT.

Any dog can pull, many dogs are good pullers FEW are great.. Im like the MARINE CORPS breeder, IM looking to produce THE FEW THE PROUD THE TRUE APBT.
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
redsky

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 8:14 am

I'm with andy! I want the pretty dog with the drive and working ability. Having a show dog does not in any way mean you have to take away from the truth of the breed!! Gaff dogs are large correct workers with plenty of drive as well as Nevada dogs. I'm telling you midas is more dominant then my budweiser crusher, colby male was at a year old! Now he's not dog aggressive but he's very dominant. Sierra has more drive in her then Rayne had. Just cause the dog is conformationally correct it does not mean it lacks the drive of the breed!! This is the error alot of uneducated folks make!
Back to top Go down
redsky

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 am

wheezie wayne wrote:
thats just common sense, but what i was getting at is when that is there only focus in there breeding program and, all the familar charteristics are lost in the quest for the perfect SHOW dog. you all know more than i do, im just want to know evetyones techniques and ideas when it comes to breeding dog strictly for confirmation.

Wayne the amstaff was created to get away from teh dog aggression of the pit. They did not create the amstaff to take the drive away but to take the dog and animal aggression away! Alot of people don't understand that the amstaff though is based on looks is still a working dog. Go check out the accomplishments of staff breeders for yourself:
http://www.gaffkennels.net/
http://www.nevadakennels.com/

one has been breeding 27 years and the other has owned and bred since 1977 almost longer then i am old and they have both had super dogs and such which isn't easy to obtain. They may not do adba because a lot of people think of adba as a supporters of the box and to them that's not helping bsl although the adba actively fights bsl. I had a conversation with some breeders yesterday and i was told just cause the ukc is weak in the north don't knock it completely. I told them i have no respect for ukc pull they told me hold on now there is usually 40 dogs or more at the ukc pulls in the south!! I was told that the conformation classes they have in the south has no less then 15 dogs per class so when they come to the north and only one or two pits show up it's just said and that it's not the ukc but the people in the area that arent' doing things with their dogs and i have to agree with that. I was shown some pics of some dogs pulling ukc that just took my breath away I'll post that pic in just a sec let me find it!
Back to top Go down
redsky

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 8:37 am

Well i'll just post up the link, this dog is ukc registered tee doesn't register adba at all so before someone opens their mouth to say a blue dog, a show dog has no heart, drive or that dogs based on conformation don't have it check again, this is also kikie's aunt on her sire's side:

http://www.durhamkennelz.com/Skye.html
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 8:45 am

thanks for everybodys replys
Back to top Go down
redsky

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 9:40 am

Wayne dont' take none of my post as toward you either. I was thinking of that dumb cameron the whole time I was posting!!
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 10:12 am

redsky wrote:
Wayne dont' take none of my post as toward you either. I was thinking of that dumb cameron the whole time I was posting!!

I saw that ..... Whats his deal?
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 10:29 am

I'm confused?? scratch
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 8:10 pm

no no i didint take it towardss me, but i am also confused who is cameron?
Back to top Go down
redsky

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 10:05 pm

from my pit space. He replied to some of your threads wayne.
Back to top Go down
redsky

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 10:06 pm

MidwestBully wrote:
redsky wrote:

I saw that ..... Whats his deal?

He's a 17 year old kid that don't know jack is his deal. Two weeks ago his page said he was 17 then it changed to 18 and in chat he said 19. I told him dang you can't even keep your age straight! Yet he knows so much about pits which he really knows nothing! His dog does have a decent ped all old game stuff.
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 10:17 pm

lol, i didint see that thread im not on mypitspace much. im gonna go check it out now
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971

show Empty
PostSubject: Re: show   show Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 11:03 pm

lol. me too!
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels