The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Empty
PostSubject: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2006 9:09 am

OMG! Gemyni has turned into he!! on four legs when on a leash outside. Especially when I walk both Legend and Gemyni together. Legend will loose leash walk most of the time. I don't like making him heel(unless in a place where its needed). So he's always on one side and Gem's on the other. She likes to yank your arm out of the socket. She leans her head down and digs in! She's a strong girl for 13 weeks. What can I use on her to stop the pulling? I don't want her to think its okay. Legend's never done that at that age. She has a regular flat buckle collar on and when I tried Legend's old Martingale collar on she could care less if she choked herself until she passed out it wouldnt matter to her. So halfway through the walk I switched it backon to her regular collar. I was thinking Easy Walk Harness but she wears sweatshirts when its cold. And the Gentle Leader Legend now just blows through it like its nothing(when we practice heeling in the backyard) and she's alot more dang on hardheaded then him! lol..I'm drawing a blank as to what to do. I don't know if its b/c I'm tired or what! lol Help me please until her beginners OB class starts!!!
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2006 9:39 am

Well I can only give you advice on how I leash train, so I'll just give you what I know how to do. Don't let her ahead of you, if she starts getting ahead put her in the other direction, keep repeating until she's learned she is staying behind or beside you. Never let them lead you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2006 3:43 am

I went out this morning and bought her a Gentle Leader! And started practicing with her in the backyard. I think its that Legend is a major distraction for her. Its almost like paying attention to him is more important but she doesnt pay other dogs attention. I took them out this afternoon for a walk. She did alot better. I made Legend heel the whole time. He rarely ever pulls ahead of me thats why I let him loose leash walk by my side. I had to use cut up hot dogs but at least it got Gemyni's attention! lol Laughing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 am

Hemi is like that when Raven goes on a walk whith him. He so busy trying to keep up with her and wory about what she's doing, he totally forgets his training Mad
Try walking her by herself with the GL until she learns your commands. Then walk them together.
Back to top Go down
American

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2006 1:56 pm

Have you tried using a gentle leader headcollar? It stops pulling and lunging. I tried it out on bones, seems to work pretty good. The other thing I tried for chopper which worked pretty good was an easy walk harness, it redirects the pulling motion without choking them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2006 6:10 pm

LegendsMami wrote:
OMG! Gemyni has turned into he!! on four legs when on a leash outside. Especially when I walk both Legend and Gemyni together. Legend will loose leash walk most of the time. I don't like making him heel(unless in a place where its needed). So he's always on one side and Gem's on the other. She likes to yank your arm out of the socket. She leans her head down and digs in! She's a strong girl for 13 weeks. What can I use on her to stop the pulling? I don't want her to think its okay. Legend's never done that at that age. She has a regular flat buckle collar on and when I tried Legend's old Martingale collar on she could care less if she choked herself until she passed out it wouldnt matter to her. So halfway through the walk I switched it backon to her regular collar. I was thinking Easy Walk Harness but she wears sweatshirts when its cold. And the Gentle Leader Legend now just blows through it like its nothing(when we practice heeling in the backyard) and she's alot more dang on hardheaded then him! lol..I'm drawing a blank as to what to do. I don't know if its b/c I'm tired or what! lol Help me please until her beginners OB class starts!!!

She sounds like your wp dog to me lol. Use a choke chain for her and pull it up behind the ears it will stop the pulling.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 12:15 am

redsky wrote:

She sounds like your wp dog to me lol. Use a choke chain for her and pull it up behind the ears it will stop the pulling.

Sounds like a wp'r to me too! lol. I think I'm going to get her an adjustable wp harness and get her dragging a 1 or 2lbs. and she how she does. I choke chain hher size. I'll try that too.

I used the GL on her this morning as I have been using it on her for a few days. and practicing. Got d@mn munchkin blew through it! lol. We REALLY need to practice more! Laughing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 4:22 am

Just a thought, its MY personal preferance, it doesnt mean its accurate but If I have a weight pulling dog, I NEVER WALK that dog in a harness. The reason being I never want the dogs forward motion to be restricted or discouraged in a harness because I dont want it to mentally carry over to his pulling harness. DId that make sense?
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 5:58 am

Oldfort wrote:
Just a thought, its MY personal preferance, it doesnt mean its accurate but If I have a weight pulling dog, I NEVER WALK that dog in a harness. The reason being I never want the dogs forward motion to be restricted or discouraged in a harness because I dont want it to mentally carry over to his pulling harness. DId that make sense?

Yes! That does make sense! Very Happy Neither Legend or Gemyni have harnesses for walking. Legend only has his WP harness. As I have thought about what you said above before. If I get a walking harness for him and when we practice wp training won't he think its the same thing?!! lol. Yup I trained Legend how to heel on leash with a Gentle Leader. He can't stand having it on his face now.
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 2:45 am

I dont really have a prob walking my dogs, well ya i do, they always give me a good yank when i least expect it.. But i dont have harness' for them... I heard they encourge them to pull, Is that true?? Neutral
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 3:08 am

Pantera2006 wrote:
I dont really have a prob walking my dogs, well ya i do, they always give me a good yank when i least expect it.. But i dont have harness' for them... I heard they encourge them to pull, Is that true?? Neutral

It did for Tasha. So I got rid of the harness and stuck to the prong collar with her. Legend good at heeling Gemyni...Ms. Hardheaded...I am still working on it with her. I know I would dare put a harness on her unless its a wp harness....I'm thinking the harness does encourage the pulling. From what I've seen...
Back to top Go down
redsky

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 3:26 am

Oldfort wrote:

Yep it makes sense Andy but my red nose bitch I pulled in NC never had a problem with pulling but then she was my die hard pleaser! On the other hand my boy wouldn't pull at all so maybe that had something to do with it. The thought never crossed my mind.

Last edited by on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 4:40 am

Yep That made alot of sence andy!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol   Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collars something Help me!!!!!!! lol
Page 1 of 1