The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Good Deed....

Go down 
+7
APBT4ME
trejos kennels
Mikado&Chalice
MidnightSkyKnl
Oldfort
ericschevy
DumDog
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-02-04

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 9:05 am

well i guess it was.....
today while on the way to my doctor's appointment my cousin and i spotted a couple of puppies on the side of the road. we had passed a few houses quite a few miles back, but these looked like young pups..... and they were eating what looked like a deer hide on the side of the road.
Turned out one was a puppy and the other a terrier with a docked tail.. like maybe a jack russell chihuahua mix. he wasnt too friendly and when we tried to catch him he got snappy. the other was a little red nosed pit, right on the border of five months i'm guessing. and he STUNK to high heaven of carrion.... given the area in which i live i refuse to leave any bull breed puppy on the side of the road.... this guy looked too young and too friendly to end up in a pit..... plus he had no collars or ID of any kind. I was also afraid he would end up road kill himself because he kept dashing out in the road, uncomfortably close to the cars passing by.... we managed to catch him and threw him the back of my station wagon - windows down because he really smelled disgusting. i made it to my doctors appointment just in time.... my cousin stayed with the kids and puppy in the parking garage while i was in the office..... he did really good riding in the car and loved playing with the kids. one of the nurses wanted him but it was bad timing.... she and her husband were going to a concert that night and she didnt want to just come home with a puppy and leave it all alone for hours.....
later on, while on our way to get something to eat we stopped by the photography studio for my cousin to pick up some portraits.. my cousin mentioned the puppy to the photographer and she sounded really interested. she called home to her husband to check with him if it was ok to bring a dog home... aparently it was, she fell in love as soon as she saw him.....
i dont really feel bad when i think about it. i'm sure that puppy had a home but he wasnt being looked after responsibly. being allowed to be free on a busy highway with no collar, anyone could have picked him up, with bad intentions or good ones.... the way i see it, i got to him first, before any "tough guy" dog fighter types could.
We also gave the photographer both our phone numbers incase she couldnt keep him. we told her we would rather get him back than him going to the pound and she understood.
i plan to go to the studio later this week and see how he's doing. maybe she will take some nice pictures of him. He had a really strange shaped head.... almost bull terrier like, not blocky at all like most pit bulls.
I really wish we could have gotten the smaller terrier but he was a little too willing to bite, and he kept snapping and biting at the puppy. he would get just so close to us before he would run away..... the one time i managed to pick him up he started snarling and thrashing..... i wanted to help him, but not that badly that i would risk getting bitten.....

anyway just thought i would share with you guys.....
Back to top Go down
ericschevy
Top Pit
Top Pit
ericschevy

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2006-12-05

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 9:13 am

Good deal, I"m certain he would of ended up hamburger on the highway..
Back to top Go down
http://garage-inc.your-board.com/
Oldfort
Admin
Oldfort

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2006-11-08

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 9:32 am

I think you made a good decision!
Back to top Go down
https://thepitboss.editboard.com
American

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 10:02 am

I think you done the right thing. Obviously the "owner" didnt care.
Back to top Go down
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 11:14 am

well part of me feels guilty. the pup was well fed and appeared to be in good health, someone was obviously feeding him something. So i kept thinking "what if some kids puppy got loose, got out of his fence, or escaped the house??" but then again i also countered those thoughts with "Tough! the dog should have had some kind of ID tags and a collar! He's fair game, obviously if i can pick him up, so can anyone else. why risk it being the wrong person?" his breed is obviously pit bull of the working variety, lean and little, with a narrow head, if he isnt hog dog stock then he's possibly backyard bred fighting stock....
and that part worries me a lot. i see a lot of controversy on the whole fighting dog mentality. some people say its the owners, not the dogs that make them bad. but then you also hear equal amounts of people saying if its bred into them then thats just what they are..... i sort of believe in both.
i dont believe every pit bull is aggressive and wants to fight, i think it varies from each individual dog, DESPITE its lineage. i may be wrong though.....
i hope this pooch turns out to be a GREAT dog for this family..... i really want to go back to that photo studio and ask her how everything is. and i'll probably keep checking in. Heck, i might even give her the link to this forum...... most people that get a pit bull dont even know there are forums out there JUST for them.... they just struggle through their dogs issues until they solve them themselves or they give up and have the dog put to sleep because it hurt someone, or they just dump it in the pound....

maybe i'm just worrying too much..... but yeah i have no doubts i did the right thing.... this town is not dog OR animal friendly..... too many people are gun happy, or just plain ugly inside.
Back to top Go down
MidnightSkyKnl
mature pup
mature pup
MidnightSkyKnl

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-02-22

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 10:11 pm

I think you did the right thing. I have done the same thing before I picked up a male that was about 1yr old on the side of the road some one had to of dropped him out he had no tags and was skinny on top of being covered in ticks and I mean covered. So we took him to a friend and with in a couple of weeks he went from hardly no hair to a gorgeous full coat. Here's a pic I had of him from right after he got his coat back.
My Good Deed.... Splitface

Congrats on helping that pup and best wishes to him and his new owner..
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightskykennels.com
Mikado&Chalice
Top Pit
Top Pit
Mikado&Chalice

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2006-11-30

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 10:16 pm

Very Happy You did the right thing. I hope he got a good home. I'm glad you gave the lady your phone number and told you would take the pup back if all did not work out well. Too bad about the little terrier. I use to keep heavy gloves in my car because there were so many dump dogs in my old home town.

I would love to see some pictures of the little guy I hope the lady will give you some.
Back to top Go down
redsky

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 10:19 pm

Well i personally feel you did the right thing because at five months no tag, no rabbies tag and no chip they werent to concerned not to mention that pup could have died so who ever had him doesn't need him! He definately doesn't need to be in an unsafe home.
Back to top Go down
trejos kennels
Top Pit
Top Pit
trejos kennels

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2006-11-17

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: I   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 11:01 pm

I thinkt hat you did the right thing too... congrats on your quick thinking cheers
Back to top Go down
http://trejoskennels.bravehost.com
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2006-11-08

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 12:26 am

You did great! cheers

Even if the pup did have an owner, he could have been killed hanging around like that. At least now he is alive and in a home comfortably sleeping safe in some ones home.
Back to top Go down
smokey_joe
mature pup
mature pup
smokey_joe

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2006-11-12

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 1:34 am

Good job on the good deed!!!
Back to top Go down
DumDog
mature pup
mature pup

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 5:28 pm

i just wish i had had the chance to give him a bath.... the poor dog stunk to high heaven!!! my poor little cousin was sitting in the back of the station wagon with him and the whole time he had his shirt covering his nose to help block the smell.
we warned the lady he had been into something nasty and she didnt seem put off at all by the fact. so i'm sure as soon as she got him home she probably put him in the tub. i was sooooo tempted to go by petsmart and BEG them for a bath for this dog lol
i know they like for you to make appointments, but sometimes, depending on how busy, the take on a pity case. it just shows how much in demand this breed is. we didnt get very far before we had a home for him. even the nurses at my doctor's office were interested but fortunately they were smart enough to know that their scheduling wouldnt fit around a puppy and didnt just take him home and dump him there until they got off work.. that kind of hasty decision making always spells disaster

and Midnight, that dog is absolutely gorgeous! i'm glad he found you and that you could help him. his outcome was far better than it would have been if AC had picked him up instead......
Back to top Go down
Xelleron
Top Pit
Top Pit
Xelleron

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2006-12-22

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 8:46 am

I think you did the right thing too! The pup now has a great home! Even if he did have a home before. He wasn't taken care of if he was eating deer hide!!!

I'm glad you did that! Kudos to you!!! (You're my hero for doing that!!!)
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2006-11-09

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 5:20 am

I think that you did good, But i would have put an ad in the paper and then gave him away, I had a cat that got loose and came back without its coller.. So maybe the coller came off??
Back to top Go down
s.u.i.c.i.d.e
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
s.u.i.c.i.d.e

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2006-12-31

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 5:43 am

You Did Great! <3 I would have done the same. yeah, and too bad for the little doggie. I agree I wouldn't risk getting bitten either.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.myspace.com/nintendosuicide
Sponsored content

My Good Deed.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Good Deed....   My Good Deed.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Good Deed....
Page 1 of 1