The Pit Boss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pit Boss

The American Pit Bull Terrier

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dog Food Q's

Go down 
+2
schismatickennels
LegendsMami
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 1:27 am

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Okay guys I need help again! lol..I feed Canidae to Legend and Gemyni they are doing excellent on it BUT I havent found a place that sells it. So I have to order it. I'd rather just go and pick theird food up from the store if possible. Gemyni I have to be very careful what I feed her b/c she sometimes will break out with a few bumps on her back. She can't have peanut butter at all. I'm thinking also no wheat for her. Legend can eat anything! lol... Maybe Innova Evo? Yes? No? If so should Legend be put on Adult or Large Breed Adult? The protein level is higher in Large breed adult(I heard sometimes can cause problems if too high). I need so suggestions please! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 2:09 am

hmm..I feed diamond, always have pretty much, I find I get the best results out of it. Diamond also has a lamb and rice formula which I hear is pretty good, and I'll probably start it around the first of the year.

I've heard nutro max is pretty good although I've never fed it honestly.

I've tried alot of different dog foods and these were the results.

Natural choice- Dogs got the runs really badly. Even after a month, poop seemed grainy and watery. Pups didn't gain weight like they should.

Turbo- eh its ok ....pretty cheap with alot of protein, although the weight flucuated alot and I wasn't happy about that.

Topps- same results as Turbo.

Purina anything- Dogs get the squirts and yes I ration the dog food, I always try it for about a month before I change. I didn't like their coats, they didn't seem near as shiny as with the diamond.

Science Diet- HORRIBLE dog food, I haven't tried it with my Pitties but i have with other dogs, and the poop was always a black color.

Ole Roy- I actually got good results from. Believe it or not I used this for quite a while with my dogs and it always seemed to give me particially the results I wanted, although it seems like I had to feed alot more food. Poops were pretty solid too. We always fed this to my dogs when I was a kid, and I had dogs live for 14-20 years.

Canned food- NEVER again....my pups weren't as healthy no steady weight gain, watery stools, more nutrition going out than in ...lol

Dollar store puppy food- I got excellent results out of this food honestly, I fed it to both Zoe and Pepsi while they were pregnant, and they seemed to have good weight gain, and keep the weight on a little better after whelping the pups. I would recommend it to anyone that has a pregnant female. It has 27% protein.

My dad always feeds Kibbles and Bits, his dogs have always done well with it.

I think it really depends on the dogs honestly. I love diamond, I won't switch again, and the only reason I did before was because of the food scare they had.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Number of posts : 1025

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 2:37 am

Here is the Canidae website with the store locator. This will help you find one in your area.
http://www.canidae.com/index.html

Innova EVO is an awesome feed!
Thats what i use. My father and brother use it too and have alway seen good results. However, if they are not going to be working I wouldn't feed the EVO, just Innova large breed or other formula.
Here is there website.
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab
Back to top Go down
redsky

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 2:51 am

I have tried several brands and so far my top picks are Puppy chow (yep good old puppy chow) and Nutro max. Never tried neither brand you mentioned heard canidea is the best though from several people. Best thing i can tell you is read the ingredients avoid anything that she is known to have allergies to and get as close to 30% protein 20% fat as you can get.
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 3:02 am

redsky wrote:
and get as close to 30% protein 20% fat as you can get.

Thats what i like about the EVO formula. Its 42/22. It ensures he gets back all the fat and stuff he burns off while training.
Here are the ingredients if you want to check it out. Its great stuff alien ..... http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271246%27%5D
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 3:08 am

Okay. So I'll get both Innova and Innova Evo I guess. One for the days Legend's just lounging around. And the Evo for the days I work him hard! It's okay for him being 14.5 months old right?
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 3:20 am

Ohhhhhh Shoot! NOOOWWW!! They wanna sell Canidae at Pets Plus! Blah! LOL

Now the question is Canidae or Innova(Evo)? Legend shouldnt be on puppy(I was told he should be off at a yr old. but he was on Canidae All Lifestages then) or large breed adult(he's 85+lbs.) correct?

Canidae All Life Stages
CHICKEN MEAL, TURKEY MEAL, BROWN RICE, WHITE RICE, LAMB MEAL, CHICKEN FAT, ( PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS AND ASORBIC ACID ,VIT.E & C ), FISH MEAL, FLAX SEED, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA MEAL ,SUNFLOWER OIL , LECITHIN , BREWERS YEAST , NATURAL FLAVORS, MONOSODIUM PHOSPHATE , CHOLINE, LINOLEIC ACID, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, SAGE EXTRACT , FERROUS SULFATE , DL - ALPHA TOCOPHEROL (SOURCE OF VITAMIN E) ZINC OXIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT ( SOURCE OF B2), YEAST CULTURE, DRIED ASPERGILLUS NIGER FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED ASPERGILLUS ORYZAE FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS ACIDIPHILUS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED STREPTOCOCCUS FAECIUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, ZINC AMINO ACID CHELATE, MANGANESE AMINO ACID CHELATE, COPPER AMINO ACID CHELATE, COBALT AMINO ACID CHELATE, IRON AMINO ACID CHELATE, NIACIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE , D-BIOTIN SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6) , CALCIUM , IODATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE , FOLIC ACID , PAPAIN , BACILLUS SUBTILI , ASPERGILLUS NIGER , YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (minimum) 24
Crude Fat (minimum) 14.5
Moisture (maximum) 10
Crude Fiber (maximum) 4

Innova Adult
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Potatoes, Natural Flavors, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat, Herring, Apples, Carrots, Cottage Cheese, Sunflower Oil, Alfalfa Sprouts, Egg, Garlic, Taurine, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min) 24
Crude Fat (min) 14
Moisture (max) 10
Crude Fiber (max) 3

Innova Puppy
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Cottage Cheese, Tomatoes, Sunflower Oil, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Potatoes, Herring, Apples, Carrots, Alfalfa Sprouts, Egg, Garlic, Chicory Root Extract, Taurine, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min) 26
Crude Fat (min) 12
Moisture (max) 10
Crude Fiber (max) 3.5

Innova Evo Red Meat Dry Dog Food
Beef, Beef Meal, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Egg, Sunflower Oil, Buffalo, Lamb, Venison, Beef Cartilage, Natural Flavors, Herring Oil, Apples, Carrots, Garlic, Tomatoes, Vitamins/Minerals, Cottage Cheese, Dried Chicory Root, Ascorbic Acid, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Protein 42
Fat 22
Moisture 10
Fiber 2.5

Innova Evo
Turkey Chicken Turkey Meal Chicken Meal Potatoes Herring Meal Chicken Fat Natural Flavors Egg Garlic Apples Carrots Tomatoes Cottage Cheese Alfalfa Sprouts Dried Chicory Root Taurine Lecithin Rosemary Extract Vitamins/Minerals Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Protein 42
Fat 22
Moisture 10
Fiber 2.5
Back to top Go down
APBT4ME
Charter Member
Charter Member
APBT4ME

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 6:53 am

If he is already on Canidae, I'd leave him on it. Just get an adult formula.
Back to top Go down
redsky

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 9:06 am

I don't switch mine off something till they are having some type of issue with it.
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 9:43 am

They are both on Canidae All Lifestages forumla. Innova and Canidae are similiar so if the store doesnt have one I know I can get Legend the other.
Thanks guys! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Number of posts : 1687

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 10:39 am

Wow!!! affraid Those foods look great!!!! I wanna eat them... hehe
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2006 10:56 am

LOL... You should see Evanger's can food! I'm like Day-um dogs eat better then some people! lol
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 9:12 am

LOL that is so true!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne
Top Pit
Top Pit
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2006-11-11

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 8:48 pm

i had my buddy over the other day and i got the chicken out to feed rico... he's like why dont you fry me up some lol.
Back to top Go down
redsky

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 9:34 pm

wheezie wayne wrote:
i had my buddy over the other day and i got the chicken out to feed rico... he's like why dont you fry me up some lol.

Lol Wayne
Back to top Go down
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Lmao!
Back to top Go down
Pantera2006
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pantera2006

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2006 11:37 pm

wheezie wayne wrote:
hahaha Ya i would too!!! Mmmmmm Barbeque!!!
Back to top Go down
TEXAS HUSTLE
Jr. Pup
Jr. Pup
TEXAS HUSTLE

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2007 10:44 pm

i use diamond for my pits, its okay so far. has anybody heard or had good results from diamond
Back to top Go down
schismatickennels
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 799

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2007 10:47 pm

that is all we feed here ... we have had good results with diamond .. It keeps a consistant weight on our dogs and they all love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schismatickennels.com
LegendsMami
Charter Member
Charter Member
LegendsMami

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2007 10:59 pm

I might need to try Diamond. Legend Geez I basically have to force feed him..I mean he has a good apetite but he's so active during the day(the only time he takes a nap is when I put him in his crate) that it's hard for me to keep his weight up. He's already tall and skinny! lol...Everyone keeps telling me he'll fill out well...WHEN??!! LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dog Food Q's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Food Q's   Dog Food Q's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog Food Q's
Page 1 of 1